Görlitz Favorite Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Görlitz Favorites: 16 reviews and 50 photos
Favorite thing: Görlitz-Information & Tourist-Centre will assist you in planning your travel and your stay with extensive services.
Tourist information service
Hotel and accommodation service
Classic guided tours and sightseeing tours
Package offers for individual travelers and groups
Day trips and travel programmes in the border triangle
Sale of concert and event tickets
Sale of souvenirs
Booking of congress and conference rooms and compilation of event-related social and cultural programmes
Görlitz-Information, Obermarkt 32
Season opening hours:
Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 7.00 pm Saturday/Sunday/bank holiday: 9.00 am - 6.00 pm
Low season opening hours (November 2nd - March 29th):
Monday - Friday: 9.00 am - 6.00 pm Saturday: 9.30 am - 4.00 pm Sunday/bank holiday: 9.30 - 2.00 pm
Favorite thing: The Lusatian Görlitz is a 250 km long river. The river has its source in the Jizera Mountains near Nová Ves nad Nisou, Czech Republic, reaching Poland and Germany at Zittau and later forms the Polish-German border on a length of about 200 km. It is a left tributary of the Oder River.
Since the river runs through the historic region of Lusatia, the adjective before the name of the river Neiße differentiates this particular river from the Glatzer Neisse (Nysa Klodzka) and the small Nysa Szalona in Silesia.
According to the 1945 Potsdam Agreement it became the Polish western border with Germany as a result of World War II (Oder- Neiße line) and thus the most notable of the three rivers named Neiße/Nysa. It is therefore often simply called Neiße.
You can watch my high resolution photo of Görlitz on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 51° 9' 27.63" N 14° 59' 39.48" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Neiße.
View from German Görlitz on Polish Zgorzelec
Favorite thing: The redrawing of boundaries in 1945 — in particular the relocation of the German-Polish border to the Oder-Neiße line — divided the town. The right bank became part of Poland and was named Zgorzelec in 1948 while the main portion became part of the German land of Saxony.
Today Görlitz and Zgorzelec are two cities on opposite banks of the river.
Since the fall of communism in 1989 Zgorzelec and Görlitz have developed a close political relationship. Two of the numerous bridges over the Neisse River that had been blown up by retreating German forces in World War II have been rebuilt, reconnecting the two towns with one bus line.
You can watch my high resolution photo of Görlitz on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 51° 9' 29.93" N 14° 59' 35.85" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio View from Görlitz on Zgorzelec.
Favorite thing: Görlitz is first recorded back in 1071. The city grew at the intersection of Europe’s oldest and most important trade routes. One of them was the "Via Regia", which connected Kiev to Santiago de Compostela. Over the centuries, Görlitz became an influential centre of trade and science.
It is located opposite the Polish town of Zgorzelec, which was a part of Görlitz until 1945. Görlitz is the largest city in the Silesian part of the current Germany.
In contrast to most other German cities it wasn’t destroyed during World War II because no bombs fell on Görlitz during WWII (only on its bridge).
You can watch my high resolution photo of Görlitz on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 51° 9' 17.86" N 14° 59' 7.96" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Görlitz from Reichenbacher Turm 1.
More Reviews (25)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Görlitz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Lesson In Architecture"
- "Gorlitz - on the way to somewhere"
- "The most eastern city in Germany"
- "Welcome to Görlitz"
- "On Finding Gems Unplanned: Görlitz"
- "Görlitz - A Forgotten Jewel"
- "A wonderful weekend in Goerlitz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Görlitz
- Hotels in Görlitz
- Transportation in Görlitz
- Nightlife in Görlitz
- Restaurants in Görlitz
- Shopping in Görlitz
- Warnings and Dangers in Görlitz
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cherating Beach
- Gouvernorat de Tunis
- Orocovis Hotels
- June Lake Junction Hotels
- Santolan Hotels
- Redington Shores Hotels
Badges & Stats in Görlitz
- 29 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Görlitz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Görlitz
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- updated a Görlitz Travel Page "The most eastern city in Germany"
- Commented on one of Kathrin_E's Görlitz travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Reichenbacher Turm Museum"
- Wrote a Review German Shepherds fom Irin Hof in Görlitz in Görlitz Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Görlitz
Photos in GörlitzSee All Photos (167)
Videos in GörlitzSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues