"Simferopol' - the gate to the Crimea" Top 5 Page for this destination Simferopol by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Simferopol Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 168 photos
The ancient Greek state Skythia with the capital in Naples Scythian (present Simferopol') was formed in the III century B.C. In the III century A.C. Goths destroyed all Scythian settlements and Naples Scythian. In 1784 after connection of the Crimea to Russia the Taurian area was formed. In 1802 it was transformed into the province of Malorossia.
The Governor of Novorossia prince Potyomkin suggested the Russian Empress Ekaterina II to form the capital of the new Russian area in the medieval settlement of Ak-Mosque. This settlement existed on this place since XVI century and was a residence of the kalgi-sultan, the first successor of the Crimean Khan. The city consisted of 331 houses and 7 mosques in 1783.
Potyomkin suggested to give the name to the capital – Simferopol’ ("Simfero" in Greek means "collect", "Simferon" - "benefit", "polis" - "city"). Thus, the translation of the name from Greek means "a city - a collector of benefit". Bees and honey are represented on the arms of the city. It is considered to be date of the basis of Simferopol’ on February, 8th, 1784.
I've been to Simferopol's several times: in 1967, 1972, 1973 and 1980...
This year I happened to visit Simferopol's after 27 year break. As usual tourists can see this city only some time after arrival to the Crimea and before departure. That's why I didn't intend to make a detailed and extensive page. To know more about the Crimea please have a look at my other Crimean pages.
This tip is about an event which happened with us in Simferopol 40 years ago. I wish it couldn't happen now, but... I... more travel advice
To reach the Southern coast of the Crimea you should overcome the Angarsky pass (752 m above the sea level). It is... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Simferopol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Simferopol' - the gate to the Crimea"
- "All Roads to the Crimea go through Simferopol"
- "Crimean Capital"
- "SImferopol - the Last Stop - The Starting Point"
- "2500 sunny hours a year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Simferopol
- Hotels in Simferopol
- Transportation in Simferopol
- Nightlife in Simferopol
- Restaurants in Simferopol
- Shopping in Simferopol
- Warnings and Dangers in Simferopol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Simferopol
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Simferopol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Simferopol
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- Uploaded a Video to Simferopol
- Commented on one of bugulma's Simferopol travel pages
- updated a Simferopol Travel Page "Simferopol' - the gate to the Crimea"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Simferopol' - the gate to the Crimea"
- Wrote a Review Be aware of car robbers! in Simferopol Warnings and Dangers
Photos in SimferopolSee All Photos (27)
Videos in SimferopolSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues