"Simferopol' - the gate to the Crimea" Top 5 Page for this destination Simferopol by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Simferopol Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 168 photos

The ancient Greek state Skythia with the capital in Naples Scythian (present Simferopol') was formed in the III century B.C. In the III century A.C. Goths destroyed all Scythian settlements and Naples Scythian. In 1784 after connection of the Crimea to Russia the Taurian area was formed. In 1802 it was transformed into the province of Malorossia.

The Governor of Novorossia prince Potyomkin suggested the Russian Empress Ekaterina II to form the capital of the new Russian area in the medieval settlement of Ak-Mosque. This settlement existed on this place since XVI century and was a residence of the kalgi-sultan, the first successor of the Crimean Khan. The city consisted of 331 houses and 7 mosques in 1783.

Potyomkin suggested to give the name to the capital – Simferopol’ ("Simfero" in Greek means "collect", "Simferon" - "benefit", "polis" - "city"). Thus, the translation of the name from Greek means "a city - a collector of benefit". Bees and honey are represented on the arms of the city. It is considered to be date of the basis of Simferopol’ on February, 8th, 1784.

I've been to Simferopol's several times: in 1967, 1972, 1973 and 1980...
This year I happened to visit Simferopol's after 27 year break. As usual tourists can see this city only some time after arrival to the Crimea and before departure. That's why I didn't intend to make a detailed and extensive page. To know more about the Crimea please have a look at my other Crimean pages.

That was my trip in January of 2007

• Last visit to Simferopol: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2007

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2010 at 7:40 AM

Hi Sergey, I'll be back to see your love affair with Crimea. T34 hahaha Supplied to Egypt. I remember it very well. I'm trying to make contact to some CouchSurfers here, to show us around. And, yes, BANDITS, to be careful from. Cheers! Avi

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2009 at 1:35 PM

You are right, I remember viewing the Supreme Rada building on TV news! Haha, I understand that Simferopol will have a special meaning forever to you!

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Hi Sergey, Thanks for all of the information on Simferopol. Someday, I hope to walk down Pushkin Street in this lovely Crimean city. Best regards from the USA, Bill

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2007 at 12:42 PM

It's at once both a blessing and a curse. I'm referring to the continuation of age old conflicts so well documented here. Lovely pages, cheers.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 12:36 PM

A very interesting page and info! I've learnt more on Crimean Tatars. Well, Kharkiv is another place to visit, I see. Very good (hopefully less accurate now) warning tip.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 9:20 AM

an interesting page, Sergey ! I had really no idea that car-theft was possible in CCCP, it certainly is a much bigger problem for western tourists and their cars nowadays !

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 6:15 PM

What an interesting page to read, Sergey. Great detail, description, insights, warning, and restaurant. I love when personal stories are told.

• hivaoa1's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 7:08 AM

hello sergej.. it's a very (in a way) funny and good memory after all about your dad's car. Your tips are always so usefull. I had studied the gothic of Crimea at school, very interesting place to visit. thanks

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Sounds like you had a great meal at the train station. The vodka is really cheap!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:32 PM

The railway station looks gorgeous ! Interesting destination, as gate for Crimea :-) And ah, yes, I also love the Moscwich and your story of these days :-)

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Simferopol

Have you been to Simferopol?

Latest Activity in Simferopol