"Irkutsk" Top 5 Page for this destination Irkutsk by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Irkutsk Travel Guide: 186 reviews and 633 photos

I was fortunate to visit Irkutsk on business in February of 2010. The city was going to celebrate the 350th anniversary since it had been established.
Irkutsk is one of the largest cities in Siberia.
The distance between Moscow and Irkutsk by air is 4200 km.
It will take you 6 hours to get there by plane.
The distance between Moscow and Irkutsk by railroad is 5318 km.
It will take you 98 hours to get there by train.

But it's only the middle of Russia, because the distance between Irkutsk and Chukotka Eastern Cape by air is 4800km (no railroad there).
And the distance between Irkutsk and Vladivostok by rail road (where the Transiberian road finishes) is 4108km. It will take you 73 hours to get there.

In my opinion the most interesting part of Irkutsk is its historic 130-th quartal that has kept a lot of wooden houses you will not found neither in Moscow nor in St Petersburg.

You can watch my
5 min 17 sec Video Irkutsk part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
4 min 13 sec Video Irkutsk-Angara out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 24 sec Video Irkutsk part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
1 min 45 sec Video Wooden Irkutsk part 1
out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 48 sec Video The Wooden Irkutsk part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 14 sec Video The Wooden Irkutsk part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
1 min 46 sec Video Irkutsk slide-show part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
5 min 03 sec Video Irkutsk slide-show part 3 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 51 sec Video The Wooden Irkutsk part 4 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 41 sec Video Irkutsk Angara slide show out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
1 min 16 sec Video Irkutsk Michail Kazakov performance out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 03 sec Video Irkutsk Hotel Europe out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 17 sec Video Flight Irkutsk-Moscow over Siberia out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My completed and coming next pages about a trip to Irkutsk in February of 2010:

• Last visit to Irkutsk: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Jun 9, 2013

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Loved checki g out your Irkutsk pages as I've been there about 3 times. Funny to see "mini Harbin" ice sculpture festival.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Thank you, Sonja! Yes, I well remember you have been to Irkutsk. When I was making this page I thought it would have been interesting for you.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Great page! I love the architecture here, especially the Churches and major buildings. Different and eye catching!

Mar 12, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Thank you, Dee! Irkutsk as a Siberian city, has its wonderful spirit, which you don't find in other Russian cities...

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Nice page and a place, worth visiting. Russia looks really so big, when watching how long you needed to go from Moscow. We could drive from one corner of Lithuania to other one in less than hours ;)

• Raimix's Profile Photo
      Mar 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Less than 5 hours ;) Let say Vilnius - Klaipeda ;)

Mar 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Thank you, Raimundas! But Lithuania is not less beautiful because of its size...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Irkutsk is certainly a long distance from Moscow. I didn't realize it was even further away than Vienna.
    I hope they will be able to preserve those historic wooden houses.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Thank you, Don! Yes, the distance between Moscow and Vienna is only 1700km, while the distance between Moscow and Irkutsk is 4200km . They try to preserve historic wooden houses in Tal'tsy close to Irkutsk, I'll create a page about it a little bit later...

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Oh my goodness! To lose the woonden Irkutski would me aweful. They have such beautiful character. Great page Sergey!

• Feb 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Very beautiful place! I hope to vist it and Baikal one day... I could never imagine that there is monument to Kolchak somewhere in Russia...:-)

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Thank you, Andrey! Yes, Irkutsk and Baikal are worth a visit! But Kolchak in Irkutsk doesn't remind Habensky out of well-known film, haha!

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Great page there Sergey. Irkutsk is definitely one of my favourite Russian cities, fantastic place to visit.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Hello, Sergey! I feel it would be great to pay a visit to this famous faraway city... Thanks for your introduction)

Feb 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Hello, Victor! Thank you! Yes, Irkutsk is a far away city from Moscow and Lugansk but it's only in the middle of Russia!

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Irkutsk

Have you been to Irkutsk?

Latest Activity in Irkutsk