"Russian New Jerusalem" Top 5 Page for this destination Istra by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Istra Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 193 photos
"Voskresensk on Istra in Russia is well-known, And as New Jerusalem it is honor" the great Russian poet Gavriil Derzhgavin wrote in the XVIIIth century.
Voskresensk is the old name of a little town near Moscow. It carried such a name till 1917. Then it was renamed with the name of Istra.
There were over 40 churches in borders of the modern Istra-district up to 1917. They filled with a peal all the territory. There was no corner where ringing of church bells did not reach, reached more quickly then advanced mass media...
A lot of temples were destroyed in revolutionary fury. Other names appeared on a map of the district. Temples which saved through revolution and atheistic orgy of the 1920-1930 would be lost in military years. In November-December of 1941 a lot of church constructions, belltowers became observation posts and shelters. Tens temples were wiped out during WWII. From more than 40 temples in area today are opened about ten.
The history of Istra-district is a part of the big history of Russia, a part of its heart. Perhaps, there is not present in the territory of this area of the plot of land which has been not noted by history. Each epoch has left the trace, the cultural layer which fertility in many respects depends on our attitude to the past. The Istra-ground is not only unique on the beauty landscapes inspired Chekhov, Levitan and Chaikovsky on creation of ingenious products.
There is no simply a landscape, it is always filled with sounds of the past - that by footfall of Lithuanian cavalery - the Russian prince Olgerd who broked in 1368 an army of the Moscow nobility there.
We can almost hear clangs of tracks of the German tanks stopped in 1941 by the Siberian army of the Russian general Beloborodov.
Tragical pages have been entered in history of an architectural ensemble and a museum in the first months of the Great Domestic War (WWII).
In December of 1941, during fights near Moscow, sappers of a division "Reich" blew up "New Jerusalem". The Voskresenskiy (Resurrection) Cathedral, a fencing with a church, towers were fully destroyed. Refectory chambers suffered. Almost the whole museum exposition and the most part of museum collections were lost at explosions and fires.
In the Bible, the New Jerusalem (also called the tabernacle of God, holy city, city of God, celestial city, and... more travel advice
Nikon's residence at the New Jerusalem Monastery and its surroundings is representative of his austere aesthetic views.... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Istra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Russian New Jerusalem"
- "A new Jerusalem, 60km north of Moscow"
- "Istra-Voskresensk-New Jerusalem"
- "Istra + New Jerusalem Monastery"
- "New Jerusalem"
- "New Jerusalem right here in Russia!"
- "Istra New Jerusalem"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Istra
- 30 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Istra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istra
Photos in IstraSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues