Moscow Local Custom Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Moscow Local Customs: 189 reviews and 251 photos
The Durasov serf theatre was well-known in Moscow in the 19th century: there were about 100 musicians and actors in his orchestra and in his troupe who studied at a special school in his estate. Performances, balls, evening-parties… life was in full swing in his estate.
Today the spirit of art has again returned to the Durasov estate that was restored some time ago. The music of Hydn and Shostakovich, and also Schubert and Rakhmaninoff are performed there. And the music of England, France and Russia of the 16th to the 18th centuries restore the historical spirit of the Durasov Palace.
The “Musical Festivals” will continue in the Durasov Palace in Lyublino.
During the summer the Estate's main palace hosts occasional classical music concerts and festivities, organized by the US and French Embassies, to celebrate Independence Day on June 4th and Bastille Day on July 14th. The celebrations usually involve music, fashion shows, period costumes, games and air displays.
Arkhangelskoye - Russian Brass band
You may obviously find and listen to the concert of brass instruments if you visit Arkhangelskoye in week-ends. The audience always delightfully attends performances of brass bands on alleys of the park.
These bands regularly participate in culture events and holidays in Arkhangelskoye.
Bands usually have an extremely varied repertoire of music. May be their level is not very high and differs from professional but it allow to perform a wide range of music from classical pieces to folk and pop.
Arkhangelskoye - Russian Kacheli
"Russkiye kachely" means "Russian swing". It's a traditional Russian game for children but not only for them... You may find various Kacheli in the Arkhangel'skoye park.
There is a proverb: What one loses on the swings, one makes up on the roundabouts. You may try this proverb for yourself!
Arkhangelskoye - Russian psaltery
You may obviously find and listen to the concert of Russian folk instruments if you visit Arkhangelskoye in week-ends. I was admired by the Gusli concert in the Gala Yard of the Great Palace.
Gusli is a Russian folk psaltery, a kind of a harp. In Finland Gusli are called "Kantele" or "Kannel", in Estonia "Kannel", in Karelia "Kandele", in Latvia "Kokle" or "Kuokle" and in Lithuania "Kankles". The Greek historians Theofilact and Theophan were the first to mention the gusli.
In the end of the 6th Century the Greeks took Slavonic prisoners and found a musical instrument named gusli. Ancient gusli also mentioned in the Russian chronicles (byliny). In the famous Russian folk epic "The Lay of the Host of Igor" it is played by the eleventh-century court bard Boyan.
The Gusli was only used as accompaniment to the song and especially to the travelling scalds who used their songs to tell about the antiquity and to praise the princes and their relations.
Arkhangelskoye - Russian Weddings
Long ago, the Russian wedding ceremony was a lengthy, original, poetic and highly musical event. It was a kind of event, which could safely be called a folk theatre performance. Typically, things would get started like this Russian style wedding.
I’ve never seen so many wedding pairs like in Arkhangelskoye Estate that week-end in Au-gust,19! I've counted more than 20 pairs with wedding corteges… That was an impressive show! I think every wedding pair imagined themselves as Jusupov’s or Golitzin’s in XIX or XVIIIth centuries…
Moscow - St Patrick's Day
Moscow celebrates Sacred Patrick's day in thirteenth time. This national holiday of Ireland is a unique holiday which is authorized for celebrating in such scale. Any other state in the world has not received such privileges.
This time celebratory columns have passed on New Arbat from Sadovoje Koltzo up to the Arbat square. The holiday has turned out bright and cheerful. The national Irish melodies executed on delays and national tool ensemble of club " Heather " have especially been liked. The Irish wolfhounds looked funny. Knights and soldiers participated in an ancient armour in the procession. Thousand spectators observed the holiday.
Moscow - Pancake week
Pancake week is one of the most cheerful holidays in Russia.
This holiday we celebrate in Russia since pre-christian times. It was accepted to burn a scarecrow of winter before spring. People eat pancakes as symbols of the spring sun. Now this holiday anticipates a great post before easter.
More Reviews (82)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "Muscovite's Moscow"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 90 Reviews
- 401 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 82 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (215)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
- updated a Moscow Travelogue "Moscow - Izmailovo"
- Uploaded a Video to Moscow
- Commented on one of Chinggis_n_Borte's Moscow travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "State Historical Museum"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- Wrote a Review Lyublino Estate Musical Fesivals in Moscow Local Customs
Videos in MoscowSee All Videos (59)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 90 reviews, 401 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy Intro, 47 reviews, 289 photos, 11 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 33 reviews, 300 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pskov Intro, 60 reviews, 249 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- Red Square- 122 Reviews, 197 Photos
- Kremlin- 230 Reviews, 425 Photos
- KGB Headquarters Lubyanka- 30 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Red Square - Saint Basil Cathedral- 65 Reviews, 132 Photos
- Red Square - Lenin Mausoleum- 41 Reviews, 60 Photos
- Tverskaya Street- 36 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Gorky Park- 20 Reviews, 36 Photos
- VDNKh Exhibition- 36 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Bolshoi Theatre- 45 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Boat Trips- 20 Reviews, 29 Photos
See All Moscow Things to Do