"Moscow - Münster" Top 5 Page for this destination Münster by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Münster Travel Guide: 308 reviews and 971 photos

Münster-first communist city of XVI century

We came to Munster on our way to Oberhausen where we took part in SV BSZS – 2006. We had only half of a day at our disposal and our excursion was rather short. Nevertheless we could find out that Munster is a very interesting and picturesque city. Most of all I was interested in historical aspects concerning this city. I knew that the first communist society was built in this city in the XVI century. That is why we couldn’t escape an opportunity to come there while passing by and having half of a day free!

Muenster is known by its mysterious social experiment of the XVI century - Muenster commune. In 1534 the city was grasped by a sect of Anabaptist and renamed into New Jerusalem. Anabaptists liquidated a private property and proclaimed full public property in the city. They were adherents of the Old testament and rejected old religion. All this was not pleasant to the Cologne archbishop.

For suppression of a distemper he directed the big army which after 16-month's siege took the city in their hands. Anabaptists were judged, and three heads of movement executed on the main square of the city. Their bodies were placed in metal cages and for intimidation were hung out on the high tower of Lambertikirche. Originals of cages hang on the tower till now.

As a matter of fact the commune was first in history communistic society.

You can watch my
4 min 07 sec Video Thomsdorf-Munster by Lada-2111 part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
4 min 02 sec Video Münster out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
1 min 11 sec Video Along Münster by car out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My completed and coming next pages about Land Nordrhein-Westfalen in Germany:

• Last visit to Münster: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2015 at 10:37 PM

Nice page! Some lovely Churches here!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 12:47 AM

I'm gathering information for a trip on Charlemagne's history. Your tips about Münster were a big help, thanks so much.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Wonderful page on the old city of Munster. The architecture is amazing esp. the Munster Rathuis and the Uberwasserkirche.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Great staff! It was probably the only communist or socialist community (a theocracy) ever, with polygamy as well :-). Now, large numbers of voluntary associations and non-profit organizations (charities) practise common ownership (excluding of wives!).

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Ah :-) You make me curious to go to Münster :-)) Lovely town, and interesting history ! I never thought about where the name derived from. Thanks for showing us :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2007 at 5:20 AM

Nice tips on all the things I missed in Münster. (I've only been there on business, and never saw very much of the city.)

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2007 at 6:25 AM

Nice page! We usually visit Munster during the monthe of December at the Weihnachtsmarkte. I simply love the fact that the beautiful mansions at the Prinzipalmarkt aren't hung up with all kinds of commercial hang outs.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2006 at 3:51 AM

This is very interesting information about the Anababtist Commune, and a very interesting page. Thanks for the virtual visit , I enjoyed it very much. Happy New Year Sergey,and new travels for 2007. Katherine :)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM

Excellent page, Sergey!!! Merry Christmas to you, too - and all the best for 2007!

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2006 at 4:46 PM

I found the history of Munster and the Anabaptist cummune fascinating. I had never heard of it before.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Münster

Have you been to Münster?

Latest Activity in Münster