"Moscow-Vyborg" Top 5 Page for this destination Vyborg by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Vyborg Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 249 photos
In 1293, during the III-th crusade organized by the marshal of Sweden Torgils Knuttson, regent of juvenile king Birger, the Swedish armies, having destroyed the strengthened Karelian forpost, established a fortress Vyborg on the island in the Finland gulf.
Vy - means "sacred", Borg - means "a fortress". So the translation from ancient Swedish Vyborg means "a sacred fortress". The first construction became a tower of Sacred Olaph - quadrangular in plan tower of the Vyborg castle.
Time passed… A settlement expanded under walls of the castle. In 1403 a fortress Vyborg received the status of a city. Appearance of the castle changed also. In XV century it by the right was considered as the most beautiful castle of Sweden.
The future king Charles Kristersson Bunde wrote: " … the Master of Vyborg spent much money for construction of a fortress, he created the most beautiful chambers, roofed them, forced to construct around a wall with merlots. It cannot be found more beautiful castle. " (Charles's chronicle, XV century).
Being on crossing of the important trading ways the city always was an apple of discord. The fighting annals of this territory was created with the Novgorod, Russian and Swedish armies, subsequently regular Soviet and Finnish armies. More than 400 years Vyborg was in structure of the Swedish kingdom while during the Northern war it was departed to Russian empire. But only after signing of the Friderihsham treaty (1809) the short peace period on these grounds was established.
Unfortunately the Boltry Tower of the Old Cathedral (Watchtower) has rather modest appearance. Local authorities while... more travel advice
It's good to stay in this hotel before crossing Russian-Finnish border if you travel by car. You'll have an opportunity... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Vyborg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Back in Vyborg"
- "Vyborg Viipuri"
- "Welcome to Vyborg!"
- "Border town"
- "Map of Leningrad Region"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vyborg
- Hotels in Vyborg
- Transportation in Vyborg
- Shopping in Vyborg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vyborg
- 14 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Vyborg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vyborg
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 41 reviews, 333 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue