Corinth Things to Do Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Corinth Things to Do: 36 reviews and 87 photos
The Corinth Canal is a canal that connects the Gulf of Corinth with the Saronic Gulf in the Aegean Sea. The canal is 6.3 kilometer in length and was built between 1881 and 1893.
The Corinth Canal is considered a great technical achievement for its time. It saves the 400 kilometers long journey around the Peloponnesus for smaller ships, but since it is only 21 meters wide. The depth of the canal is 8 meters at low water. The maximum air-draft of the Canal is limited to 52m because of the rail and road bridges.
So it is too narrow for modern ocean freighters.
Though 11,000 ships per year travel through the waterway (mostly for tourist purposes).
You may watch my high resolution photos of tha Canal on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 37º 55' 37.46" N 22º 59' 39.01" E
and on Google Panoramio Greece Corinth Channel West and Greece Corinth Channel East.
Corinth Canal Bridges
I’ve counted 6 bridges across the Canal. We were brought to the Old Motorway Bridge because it’s situated almost at the middle of the Canal and the most fascinating views are opening from there.
Watching to the West we could see the Railway Bridge with the pedestrian footbridge at the distance less than 500 meters. While zooming my camera I could see the Big Pedestrian Bridge at the distance of 1 kilometer.
Watching to the East we could see the New Motorway Bridge at the distance of 300 meters where autobahn was passing by.
There are also 2 sinking bridges in the Corinth Canal today at Poseidonia and at Isthmia -- to facilitate land traffic over it. At each end of the canal, seashore roads cross using submersible bridges that are lowered to the canal bottom to allow maritime traffic to pass.
More Reviews (4)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Corinth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "1st Day in Greece!"
- "Corinth Canal on the way to Argolida"
- "Passage to Peloponese"
- "Corinth, an isthmus and a canal."
- "Corinth, gateway to the Peloponnesos"
- "The Canal of Corinth"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corinth
- Hotels in Corinth
- Transportation in Corinth
- Shopping in Corinth
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ballywilliam Hotels
- Patchogue Hotels
- Boyeruca Hotels
- Tintenbar Hotels
- Laplje Selo
- Gleneden Beach
Badges & Stats in Corinth
- 6 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Corinth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corinth
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- Commented on one of angiebabe's Corinth travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to " Corinth in Moscow"
- Wrote a Review Corinth in Moscow in Corinth Off The Beaten Path
- updated a Corinth Travel Page "Corinth Canal on the way to Argolida"
- Uploaded a Video to Corinth
Videos in CorinthSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues