"Moscow-Schwangau" Top 5 Page for this destination Schwangau by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Schwangau Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 243 photos
Schwangau is situated on the southern Germany's Romantic Road, which runs from Würzburg to Füssen and on the former roman road "via claudia augusta".
Schwangau also is situated on the coast of the Forggensee.
In the North-East part of Fussen the Lech- river was dammed to make a storage lake of some 16.5 square kilometres, measuring 12km x 3km. It is the fourth largest lake in Bavaria. The Forggensee navigation run a regular timetable of motor boats during the summer months.
This is a country of castles, palaces, mountains and lakes is a holiday region of the very best kind and an ideal point to set out from to explore Bavaria, Swabia and Austria...
The history of the Knights of Schwangau goes way back starting with the legend of the Knight Driant. Driant is said to have appeared one day, on the Alpsee (The lake below Schloss Hohenschwangau) in a boat that was pulled by a swan. Driant is from an area between the River Lech and the Alps during the time of Charlemagne.
Some surviving information gives evidence to a Schwangau Noble named Hiltepold of Schwangau who was mentioned in the 12th century. He was described as the retainer of a powerful Guelphic Prince. Generations of knightly retainers from Schwangau would go by the name Hiltepold and in the 13th century one distinguished himself above all others through his poetic and musical talents.
The Knights of Schwangau were richer than other noble families of the time because of the mineral deposits mined on their lands and by the 14th century they owned four castles in close proximity to each other. Today being the sites where Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein are built.
Their possessions began to shrink through the years and the castles fell into ruin and were eventually sold to various owners until Maximilian bought and restored Hohenschwangau.
If you are interested in beautiful Bavarian castles and mysterious Bavarian king I recommend to visit my following pages:
3) Hohenschwangau ;
4) Schloss Hohenschwangau;
6) Schloss Linderhof.
My completed and coming next pages about Bavaria:
4) Berg am Starnbergersee,
24) Prien am Chiemsee,
26) Rothenburg ob der Tauber,
27) Schloss Neuschwanstein,
28) Schloss Herrenchiemsee,
29) Schloss Hohenschwangau,
30) Schloss Linderhof,
The wild romantic Pollat gorge is impressive and certainly worth a visit. It's situated just under the mountain where... more travel advice
Crown Prince Maximilian II of Bavaria, Ludwig II's father, had the ruined castle of Schwanstein rebuilt from 1832 in the... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Schwangau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "King Ludwig's Castles"
- "Two Castles"
- "Bavaria and Lake Konstanz"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schwangau
- Hotels in Schwangau
- Transportation in Schwangau
- Restaurants in Schwangau
- Warnings and Dangers in Schwangau
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Schwangau
- 9 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Schwangau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schwangau
Photos in SchwangauSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 41 reviews, 333 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue