"Moscow-Turku" Top 5 Page for this destination Turku by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Turku Travel Guide: 500 reviews and 1,150 photos

The city of Turku is an administrative centre of a province the Western Finland, is located in a southwest of the country in a mouth of Aurajoki river.

The city is widely stretched on the both coasts of Aurajoki close to its mouth. The river crosses Turku from northeast to southwest. A lay-out in the city centre is rectangular - all streets last either in parallel the river, or perpendicular to it. Central square Kauppatori (i.e. Market-square) is located in a right-bank part of Turku. All the main sights are concentrated at Aurajoki's coasts.
The atmosphere of this region in many respects is defined by the sea. The coastal area around of present city Turku refers to Varsinais-Suomi, in translation "Actual Finland", or "Native Finland" because it was one of the centers, gradual settling the country whence had begun from there.
From the XVIIth century Swedes founded trading numerous settlements on the coast, basically for export of wood and pitch necessary for military fleet of the country.
Swedes concern to this region with curiosity, naming it "parallel Sweden" (Parallels verige).
Turku is the basic port connecting Finland with Sweden and Aland islands. Numerous sea vessels ply along southern coast of the country.

Ferry moorings are in 3 kilometers to a southwest from the city centre. We have taken advantage of ferry Silja-line to go from Turku to Stockholm.

You can watch my
2 min 07 sec Video From Helsinki to Turku by car out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 04 sec Video Turku part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
5 min 08 sec Video Turku part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 57 sec Video Silja-Line boarding in Turku part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 00 sec Video Silia-Line boarding in Turku part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.

My completed and coming next pages about Finland:
1) Helsinki (Intro, 23 reviews, 76 photos, 2 videos),
2) Turku (Intro, 22 reviews, 104 photos, 5 videos),
3) Finland (Intro, 3 photos, 2 videos).

• Last visit to Turku: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated May 9, 2016

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM

10000 islands?! wow! we didnt have time to take any ferry there

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
      Oct 29, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Thank you! The ferry was our main purpose in Turku to reach Stockholm... And we saw several islands on our way.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
      Oct 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM

we wanted to take a small ferry cruise at the archipelago but it was rainy when we got to turku so we just walked around the city

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Well, Now I now more about Turku, thanks to you! I love those sailing ship's, especially when all the sail's are up!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2010 at 10:25 AM

The castle surely looks solid and monumental. You took great pictures and comments, as usually happens. Is there any videos? WE met a person on our Croatia trip close to here who said we need to visit.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2009 at 2:32 AM

Nice page about one of Scandinavian destinations ;) I was amazed that such castle and cathedral still left almost untouched at this part of Europe.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Wonderful place to visit there! Thanks for your story, Sergey!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2008 at 8:19 AM

An interesting page with a good history summary!

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM

Very well writen. Thanks for sharing!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 4:02 AM

Enjoyed the "History" of Turku and the Castle. Also a very clever picture of the Orthodox Church with its reflection in the building. Also thanks so much for kind comments on my new Maine page.

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Great Turku tips and photos!! I really like Finland, so Turku has to be discovered shortly!

• Vanidar's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2007 at 3:49 AM

Great informations Sergey!Thanks a lot

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Turku