"Moscow-Turku" Top 5 Page for this destination Turku by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Turku Travel Guide: 500 reviews and 1,150 photos
The city of Turku is an administrative centre of a province the Western Finland, is located in a southwest of the country in a mouth of Aurajoki river.
The city is widely stretched on the both coasts of Aurajoki close to its mouth. The river crosses Turku from northeast to southwest. A lay-out in the city centre is rectangular - all streets last either in parallel the river, or perpendicular to it. Central square Kauppatori (i.e. Market-square) is located in a right-bank part of Turku. All the main sights are concentrated at Aurajoki's coasts.
The atmosphere of this region in many respects is defined by the sea. The coastal area around of present city Turku refers to Varsinais-Suomi, in translation "Actual Finland", or "Native Finland" because it was one of the centers, gradual settling the country whence had begun from there.
From the XVIIth century Swedes founded trading numerous settlements on the coast, basically for export of wood and pitch necessary for military fleet of the country.
Swedes concern to this region with curiosity, naming it "parallel Sweden" (Parallels verige).
Turku is the basic port connecting Finland with Sweden and Aland islands. Numerous sea vessels ply along southern coast of the country.
Ferry moorings are in 3 kilometers to a southwest from the city centre. We have taken advantage of ferry Silja-line to go from Turku to Stockholm.
You can watch my
2 min 07 sec Video From Helsinki to Turku by car out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 04 sec Video Turku part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
5 min 08 sec Video Turku part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
2 min 57 sec Video Silja-Line boarding in Turku part 1 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
3 min 00 sec Video Silia-Line boarding in Turku part 2 out of my Youtube channel or here on VT.
Before our travel I thought that on our way from Turku to Stockholm we should meet only Aland islands. I have been... more travel advice
Finland was a transit country for us. We have taken an advantage of E18 motorway to pass from a border of Russia through... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Turku Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Former Swedish capital of Finmark"
- "Bits and pieces of Turku"
- "old capital of Finland"
- "Turku - City of lost memories and lost money"
- "My Home Town"
- "Turku - The first Finnish capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Turku
- Hotels in Turku
- Transportation in Turku
- Nightlife in Turku
- Restaurants in Turku
- Shopping in Turku
- Warnings and Dangers in Turku
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Turku
- 21 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (215)
Have you been to Turku?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Turku
Photos in TurkuSee All Photos (103)
Videos in TurkuSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 90 reviews, 401 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy Intro, 47 reviews, 289 photos, 11 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 33 reviews, 300 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pskov Intro, 60 reviews, 249 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues