"Moscow-Sigtuna" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigtuna by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Sigtuna Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 228 photos
The small Swedish city of Sigtuna has very rich and inconsistent history. For Russians, this city is especially interesting. I've found it out during our visiting Sigtuna in August 2006.
It is considered, that the city was established in 980 by King Erik Segersäll (Eric the Victorious). While other sources claim his son - King Olof Skötkonung as a founder of the city. Sigtuna - one of the oldest, and probably the oldest city in Sweden. Olof Skötkonung, minted Sweden's first coin there. From a small settlement the large city gradually grew and became the first Swedish capital. From 1000 the residence of bishop was settled down there.
More than 200 years Sigtuna was the largest shopping center of Sweden.
Sigtuna was rather favorably located on a coast of the lake Melaren connected by passage with the Baltic sea.
The central position in relation to the basic areas of Sweden transformed Sigtuna into the main port for foreign trade of the country. The old, trading ways laid by Normen connected coast of the lake of Melaren with the countries of east coasts of the Baltic sea: Finland, Estonia and rich Russian grounds, and with the countries laying to the south from the Baltic, - slavic Pomorze and Germany, and with located to the West Denmark.
Sigtuna was, obviously, also an intermediary in trade between Russia and countries of Western Europe. The fact is well known, that in the XII century in this city there was significant enough layer of Russian population. It told us about sizes and value of trade with Russia in life of Sigtuna.
For Russians Sigtuna is remarkable by two circumstances. Its name is connected with well-known Ingigerda - a wife of the Grand duke of Kiev Jaroslav Mudry. The second circumstance is connected with well-known Sigtunian gate decorating the Cathedral of Sacred Sofia in Novgorod, and taken out of Sigtuna by Russian soldiers in 1187 after attack and destruction of the city.
That is why I consider my visiting to Sigtuna a significant event for me.
Sigtuna is on the distance of 40 kilometers from Stockholm. It is possible to pass there by car on motorway Å4 in a... more travel advice
Sigtuna was founded in the year 980 by King Erik Segersäll, making it Sweden's oldest town. His burial place is in the... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Sigtuna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Millenarian history a 30-minute bus ride away"
- "Sweden's oldest town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sigtuna
- Hotels in Sigtuna
- Transportation in Sigtuna
- Nightlife in Sigtuna
- Restaurants in Sigtuna
- Shopping in Sigtuna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sigtuna
- 20 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Sigtuna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigtuna
Photos in SigtunaSee All Photos (66)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 41 reviews, 333 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue