"Moscow-Stockholm" Stockholm by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Stockholm Travel Guide: 4,069 reviews and 10,012 photos

Stockholm in the evening

We visited Stockholm on our northern way from Russia to Germany. It has turned out a little bit more long way on a distance. But the opportunity to get acquainted with three northern capitals - Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen - has weighed down and we have chosen this very way.

We have not regretted about the choice. All three capitals are worthy more careful studying. We had only several hours for excursion in Helsinki and Copenhagen and the whole excursion day in Stockholm. It was possible to get acquainted with its sights very superficially. However now we know what for it is necessary to return there once again.

Stockholm is located on 14 large islands laying between Saksjon - a gulf of the Baltic sea and the Malaren lake. All the main sights of the city are concentrated on coasts of these islands.

The old central part of the city has a name of Gamla Stan and occupies three large islands. Stadholmen island possesses the Royal palace and ancient inhabited quarters. Riddarholmen island can be proud of the church of Riddarholmskyrkan where the Swedish monarches were buried almost all. The parliament of Sweden and government are located on Helgeandsholmen island.

The central islands incorporate with bridges to the northern part of the city - Norrmalm. There is business area. In 15 minutes of walking from the center, there is a main railway complex T-Centralen. Main shops of the city also are located in Norrmalm.

The big island - Kungsholmen is located to the West from Norrmalm. On itswestern part there is a well known Town hall. "An East area" - Estermalm, expensive and quiet area of bourgeoisie lays to the east of Norrmalm.

The unique bridge connects Strandvagen quay with Djurgarden - a museum island. There are a well-known museum on open-air Skansen, a museum of the sunk ship "Vasa", a Northern museum, a park of "Unibaken" with heroes of Astrid Lindgren. On the contrary of Djurgarden there is one more museum island - Skeppsholmen where a set of museums are open, including museums of architecture and the modern art.

The southern part of the city - Sodermalm. This place of bohemia and student's concourses is named "a reserve" of vanguard bars, clubs, restaurants.

A rainbow met us in Stockholm. It should bring us happiness

• Last visit to Stockholm: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 13, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2012 at 9:07 AM

You certainly made good use of your short time in Stockholm! Also you saved time by sleeping on the ferry. My one visit to Stockholm was many years ago, but I hope to return some day.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2010 at 10:09 PM

I have visited Stockholm before I was on VT and was in a no photo mood! Thank you for the virtual visit that reminds me of that almost forgotten travel!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 3:38 PM

gamla stan looks really charming! thanks for the tips:)

• vesna04's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Anoher wonderful page, Sergej! Vesna

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I have never been to Stockholm - not yet anyway = I did enjoy the virtual visit to this fine city

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2007 at 4:34 AM

Stockholm is a lovely city, especially now in summer!

• nani80's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Thanks for sharing all these tips and pictures :) I'm so looking forward to visiting Stockholm for the first time!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Very informative page with great pictures. Thanks for tourist trap warning. I don't know about Stockholm but in Helsinki parking cost more than hotel I stayed haha.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2006 at 9:29 AM

I enjoyed reading your page about Stockholm! Makes me want to work a bit on mine again :-) Good you had a great time here! Sorry though you had such trouble with the money exchange... I can just imagine how troublesome that must have been in Stockholm :-(

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 3:30 PM

I only spent an evening in Malmo, Sweden, so obviously there's much of the country I haven't seen. Stockholm looks like a great city to visit.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Stockholm

Have you been to Stockholm?

Latest Activity in Stockholm