"Moscow-Uppsala" Uppsala by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Uppsala Travel Guide: 338 reviews and 883 photos

When I was a child, one of the first books which I read myself was a book about Scandinavian gods and their main God - Odin. Children's impressions are one of the strongest. Whether I could then to assume, that I should ever get in the main city of Sway tribe which was established by Odin - Uppsala!

Under the legend, there was a vision to Great Odin, that he becomes the father of the northern people and the governor of the fine country. He went to the north and founded this country and all the kin of Sway has gone from him. He also constructed the city where he began to rule. And he gave this city the name - Uppsala.

Uppsala is one of the most ancient cities. In I - VIII century there was a settlement of a Sway tribe. Tombs of kings testify it in Old Uppsala. The ancient city saw a lot during its history: battles of Vikings, greatness and falling of kings. The first in Sweden university was established in Uppsala. The Cathedral became the last haven of outstanding politicians and the scientists who had left a trace in history of the country.

Modern Uppsala - surprisingly beautiful and pleasant city, which life till now is defined by students.

We came to the Swedish ground at 7.00 in the morning. Our ferry came from Turku in such early time. It was too early to begin our excursion around Stockholm.

Therefore we directed our car to Uppsala - the ancient capital of Sweden. We decided to examine the biggest in Scandinavia Cathedral, the most ancient University to watch sacred Eric and Gustav Vaza's burial places.

• Last visit to Uppsala: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2006

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2011 at 4:06 AM

Uppsala looks like a very lovely town to visit esp the Castle and the wonderful Cathedral. Thanks for the virtual tour Sergey.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2009 at 1:13 AM

cool page from this nice old historic town.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM

Thanx for your nice virtual tour with lots of pictures!

• Sep 1, 2008 at 3:34 AM

Nice job!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2008 at 3:09 AM

Interesting page, the interior of the cathedral looks particularly nice. We only passed Uppsala on our way to the Lofoten, will have to go back. It was pleasant to see the empty Swedish roads again, wish we had such excellent driving conditions here.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2008 at 10:19 PM

For me, Uppsala is connected with Linnaean taxonomy! Interesting historical data!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 1:17 PM

Ive only been once to Uppsala on a short and cold winter day. But your page confirms what I already thought, I do have to go back here to see more of this lovely city!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 11:53 PM

Very good job and historical background. I didn't know that Gustav Vasa's tomb is in Uppsala. As for me, the castle garden looks more interesting than the castle itself.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Ah :-) I was in Uppsala just recently, but had bad weather. How lucky you have been to spend more time in good weather in this fantastic town and also in the garden !

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2006 at 1:45 PM

I love pages about lesser-known places and like you I have been attracted by tales of what an interesting and cultured place Uppsala is. Pity about those old Crones though. Do you have to pay? Lovely page Sergey

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Uppsala

Have you been to Uppsala?

Latest Activity in Uppsala