"Moscow-Helsingor" Top 5 Page for this destination Helsingør by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Helsingør Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 441 photos

Helsingor is located in 70 km to the north from Copenhagen and in 4 km water way to the south from Swedish Helsinborg.
We arrived to Denmark from Sweden. Our way laid from Stockholm to Malmo. This road passes by Helsinborg which is opposite Helsingor on the distance only 4 kilometers.

Thus we were absolutely near to Helsingor, but preferred a voyage on the automobile bridge through Oresund to alternative ferry to Denmark and Helsingor. It prolonged our way by 150 kilometers. But we made it because we wished to pass on the bridge.

And then we appeared again in Helsingor, having made in passing an excursion to Copenhagen.

This seaport is located on a cape, in the bottleneck of the Oresund strait.
The name "Helsingor" is known to each person who ever take a book in his hand or even ever watched the TV. Everybody knows that there is a castle of "Danish prince" Hamlet.

The true name of the castle is Kronborg ("the Fist"). It is not the most magnificent castle in Denmark, but it is considered one of the best samples of the Renaissance. It was under construction as a powerful fortress on border with Sweden. The garrison of a fortress was obliged to raise so-called "Danish tax" from all ships which were passed on the Oresund passage.

The construction of a fortress began in 1420-30th under the decree of the king Erik Pomeranian.

• Last visit to Helsingør: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 20, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Nice page! I explored the town too and thought it was quite interesting! Thanks for bring back good memories!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
      Jul 31, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Thank you, Dee! Yes, Helsingor is interesting itself, but not only because of its Kronborg Castle.

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hi Sergey, a fine page about Helsingør! Good that you did not only visited the castle, but also had a look around the town! This is definitely on my agenda when I go to Denmark again one day.

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM

it seems we all see the same sites in small towns like Helsingor :)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2010 at 5:00 AM

Good page about Helsingor, interesting tip about Hamlets castle. Also good transport tips.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2009 at 1:15 AM

Next time I go to Denmark I hope to visit Helsingor and then take the Helsingor-Helsingborg ferry to Sweden.

• Apr 1, 2008 at 6:28 AM

Nive page with a lot of information like all the other!! Keep travelling!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2008 at 5:59 AM

what an interesting page

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2007 at 6:26 AM

I enjoyed reading about your trip to Helsingor, and I especially like the architecture there. (BTW, the birds in your picture are not ducks, but are called Eurasian coots).

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 2:34 PM

I passed several times in Helsingør but never visited Kronborg castle! Thank you to show what we have missed!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Helsingor is a place I have never heard of but it contains a lot of interesting things for me = I too like to escape architecture & see the natural side of things.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Helsingør

Have you been to Helsingør?

Latest Activity in Helsingør