Thebes Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Thebes Off The Beaten Path: 5 reviews and 9 photos
West Thebes - Egyptian doggies
My VT-friends know that I love dogs. While going to this tourist trip to Egypt I have left at home my German shepherds. Naturally I missed them very much. Therefore having seen a group of stray dogs on a parking, I have approached to them and have had a talk about our dogs problems.
We have found common language rather quickly. As it has appeared Egyptian dogs understand Russian quite well. Unfortunately I had nothing to feed them. I have expressed my sympathy to them in occasion of the African heat which they have to live.
West Thebes - Mosque
It was natural to see mosques in each city and big settlements because the Islam is the state religion of Egypt and it profess about 93 % of the population (about 7 % of the population of Egypt are orthodox Copts). The mosque is a cult building of Moslems. The herald - muedzin - calls for fulfillment of a pray.
Earlier this appeal was disclosed from a minaret. Now loudspeakers as a rule are established on minarets. We saw one of such mosques with a beautiful minaret near to Deir el-Bahri. In comparison with antiquities of West Thebes this mosque seemed almost new and modern.
West Thebes - Souvenir’s Workshop
I have understood that the basis of tourist business for local population is producing and saling of souvenirs on themes of ancient Egypt. We have visited with excursion one of numerous workshops where subjects of art are producing. As examples for manufacture they take images of ancient artifacts and reach good similarity. The quality of these hand-made things as a rule is not very high. However the price suits quality.
Nevertheless work of local masters causes respect. I paid attention to tools by means of which they were making nephrite figures. Tools are certainly modern, made in steel. Therefore masters worked quickly and qualitatively. I felt a pity for ancient masters who had no such tools but as it is considered they were creating art masterpieces.
Village in Western Thebes
The western bank of the Nile represents the lifeless mountain desert on the distance of several kilometers from the river. It would seem impossible to live in such conditions. However tiny villages which consist of several tens houses without roofs are located on the slopes of the Theban Hills.
It is hard to imagine conditions which people live there! It is difficult to understand how they earn for life. They were engaged in agriculture during centuries. Now they are fed with tourist business last decades.
More Reviews (17)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Thebes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "West Thebes-West bank of the Nile in Luxor"
- "Ancient Thebes"
- "The Theban Necropolis"
- ".. namamu, terpahat pada dinding-dinding batu .."
- "The Lush & Fertile West Bank..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thebes
- Transportation in Thebes
- Shopping in Thebes
- Warnings and Dangers in Thebes
- See All...
Explore the World
- Sandton Hotels
- Bridgehaven Hotels
- Speyside Hotels
- Begas Hotels
- Seebad Ahlbeck
- El Golfo de Santa Clara
- Council Bluffs Off The Beaten Path
- Baku Off The Beaten Path
- Nairobi Off The Beaten Path
- Svalbard Off The Beaten Path
- Juan-les-Pins Off The Beaten Path
- Parque Tayrona Off The Beaten Path
- Keenjhar Lake
- Dili Off The Beaten Path
- Towns /Cities / Sights around Marrakesh
- Ribeira Brava Off The Beaten Path
- Guernsey Off The Beaten Path
- Shenzhen Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Thebes
- 21 Reviews
- 74 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (141)
Have you been to Thebes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thebes
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Thebes travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- updated a Thebes Travel Page "West Thebes-West bank of the Nile in Luxor"
- Uploaded a Photo to " Colossuses of Memnon (contin)"
- Wrote a Review Luxor massacre in Thebes Warnings and Dangers
Photos in ThebesSee All Photos (74)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues