"West Thebes-West bank of the Nile in Luxor" Thebes by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Thebes Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 106 photos

Hatshepsut's Terrasse Temple is one of the most unique monuments in Egypt and an architectural achievement completely unprecedented worldwide.
Not only because it was built during the period of a female Pharaoh (there was more female Pharaohs), but the temple itself.

The architecture of the Hatshepsut Temple has been considerably altered as a result of misguided reconstruction in the early twentieth century AD.

The design of the temple of Hatshepsut, called Djeser Djeseru or "the most magnificent of the magnificent" by the ancient Egyptians, is unique and avant-garde in Egyptian architecture. The temple, which faces eastwards, has a series of vast terraces continuing ochre-coloured mountain.

• Last visit to Thebes: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Dec 12, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

This is an interesting and unique place to visit, and a bit surprised there are dogs; not allowed under Islam in a lot of places.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
      Nov 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Thank you, Bruce! Yes, Thebes is really an unique place. And was glad to see Egyptian dogs there because I miss my dogs in every my trip...

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I’m glad to read that the Egyptian dogs understand Russian quite well, LOL. I have never been to Egypt but I recently spent a day exploring the Egyptian antiquities department of the Louvre in Paris, so now I have an impression of it at least.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 1:33 AM

So many great destinations in Egypt! Thanks for sharing here!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 11:27 AM

I would like to go there but it's too hot for me...so thanks for taking me there !

• Mar 1, 2008 at 6:05 PM

My dream is to be here one day! volopolo

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2007 at 11:59 PM

Another interesting page.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2007 at 12:30 AM

Great page! Brings back the memories of traveling with my mother.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2007 at 2:40 PM

You certainly saw most of the major sights in Egypt. Another interesting page with nice pictures.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Another interesting page of your Egypt trip. You have really seen a lot. :o)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 4:32 AM

Absolutely wonderful page on Thebes. Your pictures are stunning. I would love to see the Hatshepsut Temple one day. Also thanks for visiting my new Athens pages.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Thebes