Sharjah Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Sharjah Off The Beaten Path: 10 reviews and 31 photos
Al Huda Mosque
There are 300 mosques in Sharjah city, all of which are built facing the holy city of Makkah in Saudi Arabia. I even don’t know their names. Giant Al Huda Mosque located on the Arouba Road. You can see some of them on my hidden pics.
You may watch my high resolution photo of Sharjah on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 25° 19' 30.21" N 55° 22' 22.27" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Al Huda Mosque.
and according to the following coordinates 25° 20' 38.77" N 55° 24' 21.08" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Mosque .
Al Khan Watchtowers
Al Khan is an area around the Grand Hotel of Sharjah. I could walk around it and find an old suburb which was almost a town in the beginning of the 20th century. Its residents were mainly members of the Al swdan and Al abu muhair tribes, who form part of the Bany yas tribe. The town was known as a commercial hub for bedouin goods trading and as a summer destination for Dubai residents. Currently, the suburb has been converted into a part of the city and has a lot of commercial and residential waterfront developments.
You can watch my 3 min 46 sec HD Video Sharjah daytime walk part 1 out of my Youtube channel with Andi Susi.
You may watch my high resolution photo of Sharjah on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 25° 20' 8.06" N 55° 21' 33.38" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Al Khan Watchtowers .
Coming back home I found out that when I visit the Church area in Sharjah I could see a lot of non Muslim Churches. Among them:
Sharjah Marthoma Church,
Sharjah Armenian Church,
St. Martin’s Anglican Church,
St Marys Jacobite Soonoro Church,
SIAG Sharjah Union Church,
St Michael Catholic Church.
St Gregorios Orthodox Church
I was very curious to see an Orthodox Church in Sharjah. I went to the Church Area of Sharjah and find it among numerous non Muslim churches located there. When I came back home I investigated what kind of church is it. And I found out many interesting things:
“The advent of Orthodox Christians from Malankara (Kerala) to the Gulf began with the development of the Gulf countries.
With the finding of oil in the Emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai, people from many countries of the sub-continent started coming to these places in search of job opportunities. Among them were many Orthodox Christians from Kerala, who were employed in Government and Private organizations. They formed prayer groups for their spiritual needs and were frequently visited by the Vicars from St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Bahrain. St. George Orthodox Church, Abu Dhabi and St. Thomas Orthodox Church, Dubai, were the early congregations to be established in the UAE under the patronage of St.Mary’s Orthodox Church, Bahrain.
In 1970, at the time of elevation of St. Thomas Orthodox Church in Dubai as a Parish, a large number of its members lived in Sharjah. Their travel to Dubai for attending the Holy Mass at Women’s Society Hall in Dubai was a great ordeal. So, in the year 1973, a group of the Orthodox Church members from Sharjah formed a Prayer Group, under the patronage of St.Thomas Orthodox Church, Dubai. Prayer meetings were held once in a month, at the residence of those members, under the leadership of the Vicar from Dubai Church. This prayer group was the forerunner for the formation of the present St. Gregorios Orthodox Church in Sharjah”.
You can watch my 4 min 40 sec HD Video Sharjah daytime walk part 6 out of my Youtube channel with Mustafa Sandal - Arabia.
You may watch my high resolution photo of Sharjah on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 25°21'18.01"N 55°23'38.36"E or on my Google Earth Panoramio St Gregorios Orthodox Church.
More Reviews (28)
- Evening walk along the Corniche
- Firework in Sharjah
- From/to airport Dubai
- See All Enjoy shopping in Sharjah
- See All Sharjah-"dry climate"
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Sharjah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once in December..."
- "Our Neibour to the North"
- "The hidden treasure..."
- "Quiter than Dubai"
- "United Arab Emirates"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sharjah
- Hotels in Sharjah
- Transportation in Sharjah
- Nightlife in Sharjah
- Restaurants in Sharjah
- Shopping in Sharjah
- Warnings and Dangers in Sharjah
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fort Carson
- Kampung Sungai Pinang Kecil Hotels
- Gonzales Hotels
- Rosemary Beach Hotels
- Ortakoy Hotels
- Utah Off The Beaten Path
- Greece Off The Beaten Path
- Valencia Off The Beaten Path
- Cornwall Off The Beaten Path
- Carmel-by-the-Sea Off The Beaten Path
- Agrigento Off The Beaten Path
- Aruba Off The Beaten Path
- Oroville Off The Beaten Path
- Rüdesheim am Rhein Off The Beaten Path
- Arras Off The Beaten Path
- Black River District Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Sharjah
- 32 Reviews
- 226 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Sharjah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sharjah
Photos in SharjahSee All Photos (226)
Videos in SharjahSee All Videos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Sharjah hotel reviews
- Radisson Blu Resort Sharjah
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Coral Beach Resort Sharjah
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013
- Samaya Hotel Apartments Sharjah
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 23, 2011
- Sharjah Grand Hotel
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 24, 2013
- Sharjah Continental Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Aug 24, 2010
- Holiday Inn Sharjah
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013