Konya Favorite Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Konya Favorites: 11 reviews and 17 photos
Konya - Mevlana Museum
Favorite thing: The former dervish seminary attached to the mausoleum is now a museum devoted to manuscripts of Mevlana's works and various accoutrements of the sect.
The tomb of the great Turkish thinker and mystic philosopher Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi is situated in The Konya Mevlana Dergah (dervish retreat). It was turned into a museum in 1927. It contains objects pertaining to Mevlana and the Mevlevi order.
Rumi teachings expressed that love is the path to spiritual growth and insight. Broadly tolerant of all people and other faiths, he says,
“Whoever you may be, come
Even though you may be
An infidel, a pagan, or a fire-worshipper, come
Our brotherhood is not one of despair
Even though you have broken
Your vows of repentance a hundred times, come.”
The Museum is open: May-October: Monday 10.00-18.00; Tuesday-Sunday 9.00-18.00.
November-April: Tuesday-Sunday 9.00-18.00.
Entrance fee – 5YTL (April, 2008).
You may have Virtual Tour of Mevlana Museum.
You can watch my 1 min 52 sec Video clip Konya Mevlana Museum with Turkish music.
Fondest memory: You may watch my high resolution photo of Konya on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 37° 52' 14.44" N 32° 30' 15.12" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Mevlana Museum .
Konya Downtown - Central Square
Favorite thing: Konya is a large city on the central plateau of Anatolia. Now it has population about 1,5 million. Konya has a reach history and historically also known as Ikonion (Greek) and Iconium (Latin).
Konya reached its height of wealth and influence as of the second half of the 12th century when Anatolian Seljuk sultans also subdued the Turkish Beyliks to their east, thus establishing their rule over virtually all of eastern Anatolia, as well as acquiring several port towns along the Mediterranean and the Black Sea and even gaining a momentary foothold in Crimea. This golden age lasted until the first decades of the 13th century.
Alongside a generally high level of instruction and modern buildings, we have been told that Konya has a reputation of being one of the more religiously conservative metropolitan centers in Turkey. It was once known as the "citadel of Islam", and it is still more devout than other cities.
You can watch my 3 min 11 sec Video clip Konya Slide-show with Turkish pop music by Petek Dincoz – Catilmis Kaslarinla.
Fondest memory: You may watch my high resolution photo of Konya on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 37° 52' 17.82" N 32° 29' 59.75" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Central Square .
More Reviews (17)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Konya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Konya - city of Mevlana and Hadja Nasreddin"
- "The City of Mevlana"
- "CAPITAL OF ANATOLIAN SELJUKS"
- "Anything other than love is devoured by love(Rumi)"
- "a holy town,dervishes capital city"
- "Konya an agriculture and history Capitol"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Konya
- Hotels in Konya
- Transportation in Konya
- Nightlife in Konya
- Restaurants in Konya
- Shopping in Konya
- Warnings and Dangers in Konya
- See All...
Explore the World
- Taupo (town) Hotels
- Santa Elena Hotels
- Ramuan China Besar
- San Onofre Hotels
- Kasteel de Haar Hotels
Badges & Stats in Konya
- 19 Reviews
- 105 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (142)
Have you been to Konya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Konya
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Konya travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- updated a Konya Travel Page "Konya - city of Mevlana and Hadja Nasreddin"
- Uploaded a Video to Konya
- Uploaded a Photo to "Konya - city of Mevlana and Hadja Nasreddin"
- Wrote a Review Friendly Turkish dog in Konya Local Customs
Photos in KonyaSee All Photos (105)
Videos in KonyaSee All Videos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (69)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Konya hotel reviews
- Ulusan Hotel
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 11, 2013
- Rixos Konya
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- Dedeman Konya And Convention Center
- 63 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 17, 2013
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 16, 2013
- Hotel Rumi
- 64 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2013
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 26, 2013