"Petra - a highlight of Jordan" Top 5 Page for this destination Petra by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Petra Travel Guide: 987 reviews and 2,529 photos

Petra is a historic and archaeological city famous with its canyon and rock cut architecture. It dates back to the 6th century BC as the capital city of the Nabataeans. Now it is a symbol of Jordan as well as its most visited tourism attraction.
It lies on the slope of Mount Hor in a basin among the mountains which form the eastern flank of Arabah (Wadi Araba), the large valley running from the Dead Sea to the Gulf of Aqaba.
Petra is an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1985.
The site remained unknown to the Western world until 1812, when it was introduced by Swiss explorer Johann Ludwig Burckhardt.
Petra was chosen by the BBC as one of "the 40 places you have to see before you die".

You can watch my
3 min 34 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 5 Facades street ,
2 min 35 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 6 ,
5 min 39 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 7 ,
4 min 33 sec HD Video Jordan Petra part 8
out of my Youtube channel.

Completed and coming next VT pages out of my trip to Israel in April of 2009: Israel-Palestine-Jordan:
1) Ovda,

• Last visit to Petra: Apr 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 23, 2010

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2011 at 2:39 AM

Sergey, gorgeous page about your adventures in Jordan. Petra seems to be one of the very top destinations down there.

• Dec 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

this is a stunning page sergey! it is my dream to come here, i keep hoping one day, but other things come in the way! your photos are beautiful, and thanks for your good info. one day one day! greetings from hot australia :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2010 at 12:25 PM

I loved Petra but visited too long ago to be able to build a good VT page about it. Thanks for bringing back lots of great memories! But you're right - you need two days here at least, which we were lucky enough to have (and time for Wadi Rum too!)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2010 at 10:57 AM

How fascinating and wonderful to see such a special place. Thank you for sharing your adventures and sharing with me a place I may never see. Excellent page!

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Wonderful page Sergey! I really love Petra! It is one of the places I'd like to visit again. Great job.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 9:30 PM

Your tips and photos bring back great memories! I had a two-day ticket when I visited and Petra is an amazing place to explore!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2010 at 10:50 AM

It has obviously became way more touristy since my visit in 1985 when there was no such visitor's center etc. The horse ride at that time was also much more expensive and I couldn't afford it, I suffered very badly from heat there.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM

Ahhh... Petra!!! Ever since I say the "Canyon of the Crescent Moon" in Indiana Jones, I wanted to go there :-) Haha, and of course, ride a horse. Thanks for this wonderfulmorning read and watch, Sergey :-))

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Privet Sergey, Spasibo for letting me visit Petra through your excellent words and beautiful photos, Larry :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Your tips and photos give a good introduction to this monumental and mysterious place.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Petra