"Moscow-Metz" Top 5 Page for this destination Metz by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Metz Travel Guide: 193 reviews and 599 photos

The French frontier city Metz is located on Moselle river. It is the large center of the Department of Moselle and the capital of the province of Lorraine. The city has the rich history - about two thousand years. It is very green city with set of parks and squares.
The bell tower, pulled down in the 16th century, was rebuilt in 1887.

You can watch my 1 min 01 sec Video Dijon-Metz
and my 2 min 40 sec Video Metz out of my Youtube channel.

Metz is located near to the three borders: Germany, Luxembourg and Belgium, it easy to submit up Paris - only 300 km. Its streets are very good for slow walks. The city stands on Moselle river and is crowded by channels. Therefore the first, that is evident - a citadel with the German gate. The Tamplier's chapel of the XIII century towers in the same place. The gloomy German architecture contrasts with habitual French - St. Etienne Cathedral, Church Sen Pierre and others.

The Museums "La Cour d'Or" reflect perfectly well the wealthy historical patrimony of Metz. From the Roman time to the Renaissance, from the roman baths to the famous storage facility of Chèvremont (15th century), the Museums shelter surprising treasures like the painted gothic wooden ceilings (13th century), the Chancel of Saint-Pierre-aux-Nonnains - a stone balustrade considered as one of the most important stone-works of early Middle-Age in France.

• Last visit to Metz: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2012

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Love Lucky Luke flowerbed! I am glad you put the link there, as I didn't know who he was either and was interested in finding out more!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Excellent historical overview & tips here, Sergay. St Etiennes is breathtaking- the stained glass windows are awesome. I also like the flowerbeds.Thanks. Lovely photos

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 5:21 AM

Hello, Sergey! You were lucky to visit that piece of Earth Paradise! Great!

• timada's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM

Marc Chagall has indeed wonderful stained glass ! Nice town Metz !

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Lovely page on Metz. The St. Etienne Cathedral is breathtaking inside and out.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 11:04 PM

Ah yes, Sergey, you have convinced me that I need to visit yet another corner of France. I'd always thought of Metz as very industrial, it seems far more pleasant!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2008 at 1:32 AM

Love the Lucky Luke field, and the cathedral. BTW LL is a creation of Morris, a Belgian comic strip writer, not a French one

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Haha, I like the Lucky Luke! Yet another city I should visit one time but I think France will have to wait till I'm old ;)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 1:34 AM

I have often been to Metz for my job but failed to get any time to visit! That was always “may be next time”! I learned a lot from your page. Amuzing beds shows the figure of a popular cartoon, Lucky Luke, the cowboy known to shoot faster than his shadow.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2007 at 8:26 AM

Another French city I never knew much about. Looks like a beautiful place and worth visiting.

Kuznetsov_Sergey

“Where there's a will, there's a way”

Badges & Stats in Metz