"Moscow - Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer" Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer by Kuznetsov_Sergey
Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 55 photos
The capital of Camargue is Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer. The legend about an occurrence of this settlement at the seacoast sounds like that. 17 years after the crucifixion of Christ, two Sacred women with the satellites sat in a boat without a sail and oars also. It was at the coast of Palestin. They were started up in navigation on the sea. These women named Mary Jacobe and Mary Salome - mother of apostles.
There were Mary Magdalene, March, Lazar, Maxim and Sidony with them. A servant Sarah who was a gipsy joined them (also known as Sara-la-Kali or Sara the black). The boat operated only by a wind, in many days came to the coast of Camargue. Happy travellers left the boat and glorified the god for the rescue.
A part of travellers went away from there to different places: March - to Tarraskon, Mary Magdalene - to sacred grotto Saint Baum, Lazar - to Marseilles, Maxim and Sidony - to Aix-en-Provence. However aged Mary Jacobe and Mary Salome decided to remain there. Their servant Sara did not wanted to leave them.
Soon both Sacred died. At a place of their tomb the church was erected, and the settlement was named , that is Sacred Mary at the sea. The church got a present view in 1130. It has the strengthened walls which defended the church from attacks.
My pages about France:
19) Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur,
26) Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue,
The legend extended in days of board of king of Provence Rene. In 1496 Sara's remains were found. The custom of Sara's... more travel advice
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Moscow - Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer"
- "A relaxing day in Les-Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer"
- "Gipsy Capital of Provence"
- "Into The Camargue"
- "Mystique and seaside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
- Hotels in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
- Restaurants in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (229)
Have you been to Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- updated a Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer Travel Page "Moscow - Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer"
- Commented on one of hquittner's Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer in Moscow"
- Wrote a Review Gipsy Mecca in Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer Favorites
Photos in Saintes-Maries-de-la-MerSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy Intro, 47 reviews, 289 photos, 11 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 33 reviews, 300 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues