Versailles Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Versailles Off The Beaten Path: 44 reviews and 115 photos
Versailles - Trianons
Further the way lays near the Big Channel to Big and Small Trianons. These are the small palaces which are being the bottom part of the Versailles park. Usually tourists are left with forces, and they come back to the main building. Don't make it! Go further!
The Grand Trianon was built in the northwestern part of the Domain of Versailles at the request of Louis XIV, as a retreat for the King and his maîtresse en titre of the time, the marquise de Montespan, and as a place where the King and invited guests could take light meals (collations) away from the strict étiquette of the Court.
The Grand Trianon is set within its own park, which includes the Petit Trianon (the much smaller château built between 1762 and 1768 during the reign of Louis XV).
Versailles - Garden
The southern orchestra of the park which has stretched under apartments of the queen, is decorated by short-haired box trees in the form of pyramids. It is adjoined with an orange and palm grove. Palm trees stand in tubs in summer. 1200 orange trees and palm trees are removing in a greenhouse in winter.
You can watch my 1 min 42 sec Video Versailles Park part 2 out of my Youtube channel.
Versailles - Village of the Queen
The final point of a route is "Village of the Queen". It was constructed for Maria-Antoinette in the English-Chinese style - with lakes, grottoes and twisting streams. The idea of this "village" was connected with Russo's appeal "returning to the nature". There are twelve small houses, dairy and cattle-breeding farms, a dovecot and a mill in the village. They have straw roofs.
Versailles - Water orchestra
The water orchestra is formed around of two greater reservoirs surrounded by statues. The greatest fountains - pools Latony, Apollo, the Dragon and Posseidon.
However Versailles fountains work only one and a half hour per day from 16.00 till 17.30. Therefore I have not seen them in all magnificence. Here I recollected our Peterhof where fountains work all the day long in summer!
Versailles - Water installations
At creation of the park huge problems were connected by that the area around Versailles was flat. So there were developed the most complicated engineering water installations - "a Marly's machine" and an aqueduct for maintenance of gardens and fountains by water. However it was nevertheless insufficiently simultaneously to include all fountains. Therefore public, examining one fountain, switched it off and passed to the following fountain.
More Reviews (20)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Versailles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grandeur Beyound Words"
- "ON THE STEPS OF MARIE-ANTOINETTE."
- "Moscow - Versailles"
- "When Kings lived in Versailles"
- "The Chateau de Versailles"
- "I can see why they chopped off their heads!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Versailles
- Hotels in Versailles
- Transportation in Versailles
- Nightlife in Versailles
- Restaurants in Versailles
- Shopping in Versailles
- Warnings and Dangers in Versailles
- See All...
Explore the World
- Lofoten Hotels
- Don Mills Hotels
- Independant State of Samoa Hotels
- Gaspar Hernández Hotels
- Miles City
- Tagaytay City Off The Beaten Path
- Bremen Off The Beaten Path
- Cardiff Off The Beaten Path
- Death Valley National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Isle of Man Off The Beaten Path
- Castrop-Rauxel Off The Beaten Path
- Allotment gardens
- Senigallia Off The Beaten Path
- Nara City
- Street market in Porta Palazzo
- Markets and Street Scenes
Badges & Stats in Versailles
- 25 Reviews
- 123 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (147)
Have you been to Versailles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Versailles
- Wrote a Review My video and photo cameras in Versailles in Versailles What to Pack
- Uploaded a Photo to "My video and photo cameras in Versailles"
- updated a Versailles Travelogue "Moscow-Versailles in september of 2003 (cont)"
- Uploaded a Video to Versailles
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- Commented on one of Voyageuse30's Versailles travel pages
Videos in VersaillesSee All Videos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Meteora Intro, 46 reviews, 242 photos, 10 travelogues
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Versailles hotel reviews
- Pullman Versailles Chateau Paris
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Trianon Palace Versailles, A Waldorf Astoria Hotel
- 711 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Ibis Paris Versailles Chateau
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 3, 2013
- Le Cheval Rouge
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 13, 2013
- Huttopia Versailles
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2013
- The Hall of Mirrors ( La Galerie des Glaces )- 44 Reviews, 89 Photos
- Gardens- 47 Reviews, 125 Photos
- Hameau de la reine- 14 Reviews, 41 Photos
- The Palace of Versailles- 39 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Grand Trianon castle- 25 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Petit Trianon castle- 15 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Basins, fountains and statues- 54 Reviews, 118 Photos
- Saint-Louis cathedral- 4 Reviews, 14 Photos
- Grands Appartements du Roi et de la Reine- 9 Reviews, 11 Photos
- Galeries de l'Histoire de France- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Versailles Things to Do