Bamberg Off The Beaten Path Tips by Kuznetsov_Sergey Top 5 Page for this destination
Bamberg Off The Beaten Path: 43 reviews and 135 photos
For me just coming back from Jerusalem it was very interesting to know that Bamberg is home to the oldest, completely intact Via Dolorosa in Germany.
The people of the late Middle Ages wanted to recreate the Way of the Cross to commemorate Jesus Christ's suffering.
Since 1503 the Via Dolorosa has led from St. Elisabeth's Church to the Church of St. Getreu. The special feature of this Way is that its creator Heinrich Marschalk von Raueneck had the stations positioned in exactly the same way he had seen and measured them in paces in Jerusalem.
At the doorway of St. Elisabeth's Church you will find ourselves in front of Pilate's house where Jesus shoulders the cross; ascending Aufseßstraße, you will follow his route to Golgotha. In the Church of St. Getreu, you will see the story of suffering, the Crucifixion, death and entombment of Christ.
You can watch my high resolution photo of Bamberg on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 49° 53' 28.91" N 10° 52' 50.11" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Domstraße.
St. Jakob is the only church in Bamberg which is almost completely built and preserved in the Romanesque style. It is a pillared basilica from the 11th and 12th century.
The Baroque façade was created in 1771. The church lies to the West of the Cathedral area outside the former "Domburg".
You can watch my high resolution photo of Bamberg on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 49° 53' 27.67" N 10° 52' 40.64" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio St. Jakob.
The Carmelite Convent (Local Name: Karmelitenkloster) is a beautiful Late Romanesque cloister. It was built in the 12th century and altered about 1700.
The church dedicated to St. Theodor was part of a Cistercian convent, whose nuns devoted themselves to nursing in the 13th century.
Today's facade with sculptures by Leonhard Gollwitzer was created from 1692 to 1701 by Leonhard Dientzenhofer in the course of the Baroque transformation.
Adresse: Karmelitenplatz 1
You can watch my high resolution photo of Bamberg on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 49° 53' 19.28" N 10° 52' 50.65" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Karmelitenkloster.
Kirche Unsere Liebe Frau
The church, which is called "Upper Parish" by the locals, is Bamberg's only purely gothic church. The simple nave was added 50 years after the late gothic choir whose foundations date from 1375 and the upper choir which is supported by flying buttresses.
The wedding portal is a striking feature with its gothic statues. The church interior with a nave and two aisles contains baroque furnishings. The painting "The Ascension of Mary" by Tintoretto is a particularly valuable work of art.
You can watch my high resolution photo of Bamberg on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 49° 53' 21.22" N 10° 53' 1.77" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio Kirche Unsere Liebe Frau.
St. Michaelsberg Abbey
On top of the hill in Bamberg is the former Benedictine abbey of Michaelsberg (1009-1803), with St Michael's Church (12th-15th C; ceiling paintings of medicinal herbs). To the north and west of the church are the new abbey buildings erected by J. L. Dientzenhofer (1696-1702) and Balthasar Neumann (1742).
You can watch my high resolution photo of Bamberg on the Google Earth according to the following coordinates 49° 53' 31.88" N 10° 52' 53.35" E or on my Google Earth Panoramio St. Michaelsberg Abbey.
More Reviews (15)
Kuznetsov_Sergey's Related Pages
Bamberg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "City of Famous landmarks"
- "Wonderful Bamberg"
- "Medieval Bamberg"
- "Beloved Bamberg !"
- "Bamberg - every cloud has a silver lining"
- "The best of Bamberg...."
- "Bamberg - an UNESCO world heritage site"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bamberg
- Hotels in Bamberg
- Transportation in Bamberg
- Nightlife in Bamberg
- Restaurants in Bamberg
- Shopping in Bamberg
- Warnings and Dangers in Bamberg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bamberg
- 20 Reviews
- 169 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (145)
Have you been to Bamberg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bamberg
- Commented on one of Kuznetsov_Sergey's Bamberg travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Ratings not working"
- updated a Bamberg Travel Page "Medieval Bamberg"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Medieval Bamberg"
- Wrote a Review German Shepherds fom Irin Hof in Bamberg in Bamberg Local Customs
- Uploaded a Video to Bamberg
Videos in BambergSee All Videos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Istanbul Intro, 130 reviews, 621 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jerusalem Intro, 103 reviews, 535 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Moscow Intro, 86 reviews, 301 photos, 7 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 41 reviews, 333 photos, 26 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kostroma Intro, 60 reviews, 302 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nürnberg Intro, 41 reviews, 286 photos, 19 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Israel Intro, 62 reviews, 255 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Turkey Intro, 73 reviews, 233 photos, 8 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 56 reviews, 238 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greece Intro, 61 reviews, 229 photos, 1 travelogue