"A True Live Cancer Baby!" ScubaCat's Profile

Where I was born

It's true! The horoscope has me pegged. I should have been born & raised near the ocean, sunshine and beach. Instead I was born & raised smack dab in the middle of Tornado Alley. Other's may call it the Bible Belt or the most boring place on earth, but unfortunately I have to call it home. Now Kansas is not all that bad. Were known as the Air Capital of the World due to all the aircraft companies in Wichita. Wichita also has McConnell Air Force Base. Ahhhh to hear those lovely F16's flying overhead on Veterans Day. Kansas is basically made up of farmland community & small towns. Wichita is the largest town in Kansas. Got ya, lol. You thought it was Kansas City didn't you. Nope that's in Missouri. Kansas Farmers grow Wheat & Barley, then store it in Grain Elevators. Were also known as the test market for your taste bud's. Don't ask me why, but what seems to work here, works everywhere else & what flops here won't make it elsewhere.

Growing Up

I think I got the travel bug from my parents. Every summer I took a break from my beloved pool and swim meets to go on vacation with my family and we would travel across the U.S. Going to different places such as New Mexico, Texas, California, Colorado, Oregon, Arizona. Of course we always traveled by vehicle or camper in order to maximize visitation time or that's what my parents told me anyway. It could have been the money, lol. Of course my favorite spots to visit was the ocean. I could spend hours in the water until my skin puckered up like a prune and then if I had to get out, I was looking for seashells. I would come home with bags & bags of seashells and rocks from the seashore.

Coming of Age

By the age of 20 wanderlust hit me full force. The idea of living in the same town or the same state for my entire life was unthinkable. There was a whole world for me to explore out there. New Orleans sounded interesting & a fun place to try. So I quit my job, packed my bags & headed south. I first landed in Metaire, Louisina (a suburb of the big easy), but due to high rent, I ended up renting a room off of Prytania street. Now this was pretty cool as the house where the room I rented used to be slave quarters and the area surrounding it is packed full of history. It was here that I experienced my first Mardi Gras. Man, those parades were fun, with the krew members throwing the beads, underwear & cups. By the end of the day my neck was thick with beads & my voice hoarse from yelling. But the party didn't end there. Then came the Irish/Italian parade and the St. Patty's day parade and both of those were on foot. You had to kiss the guys to get your prize, hehe. When there weren't parades to party at or Festivals to go to, there was always the French Quarter to be had, whether by day or by night, there was always something going on somewhere. Just pick your flavor.

Going Full Circle

We'll I had done my fair share of partying. Learned how to eat a mudbug like a true cajun (and was quite proud of it, thank you very much). Got married and settled down. Took some classes and had a fairly respectable job - I was working as a bookkeeper for a major oil & gas lawfirm downtown when the economy took a nose dive. They started letting Attorney's go at the firm I was at and since my marriage was on the rocks anyway I figured it was time to come home. Kansas has always had it's ups & down's but through time has remained fairly steady. So here I am. Right smack dab in the middle of the United States.....miles away from those white sandy beaches that I dream and drool over, but then again that's what makes vacations so fantastic "what you don't have, makes everything so much better!"

• Intro Updated Nov 8, 2006

Personal Pages (1)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
ScubaCat's Profile Photo

ScubaCat

“When the urge hits-just load the tanks & go”

Real Name