"Lviv - the city of the East and the West" Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv by ZiOOlek

Lviv Travel Guide: 761 reviews and 2,466 photos

Lviv is said to be the city of the East and the West. In fact, when visiting Lviv you may feel a mix of different cultures and religions.

Lviv is situated in Western Ukraine, about 70 kilometres from the border of Poland. Lviv is very old. The first mentioning the name Lviv appeared in chronicles in 1259. Lviv used to be the capital of Galicia. When being a part of Poland in XVII century it was one of the biggest cities with a population of 30 thousand (bigger than Cracow). The city is called differently in many languages: in Polish Lwow or in German Lemberg but the name simply reffers to the word lion - Lviv's symbol.

In 1998 Lviv on a list of UNESCO Haritage!

• Last visit to Lviv: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 6, 2005

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Nice page Piotr. I definitely want to visit Ukraine.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 2:45 AM

! Hello, Piotr! You provide great descriptions! Very useful, thanx! I want to revisit Lviv!.....

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM

This looks like it has a lot of dome structures and great architecture. YOu did a very good job of presenting this city.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Lovely photos of Lviv here. An interesting and honest tip on Hotel George. I've booked a standard room so I hope I'll be luckier than you. See you in Sibiu :)

• zaffaran's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM

I find your page very good and informative.Thank you a lot for sharing! Maybe it will encourage me to create my own Lviv page:-)

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2008 at 2:12 PM

Very interesting and informative. From the architecture I would assume it to be a beautiful city. so it was the capitol of Galicia? Hence the lions in Cloth Market?

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 7:36 AM

Piotr, fabulous page with helpful info and brilliant photos. I am off to Ukraine for the first time at the beginning of June. :-)

• cold_dead_bunny's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 6:28 AM

Hey, great transportation tips! Your info - the only one wayout for poor student's budget travells! :)

• gale.blog.pl's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2006 at 1:51 PM

Piotr, it was great to meet you in Warsaw :) Your Lviv page is great, I didn't even have enough time to browse through all of your notes so I'll get back soon :) Keep up the good work!

• Jan 14, 2006 at 1:58 PM

A great restaurant guide Piotre:) I'll check out your other tips later.:) Well done!

ZiOOlek

“*When a human dies there is nothing left after that except for good done to others*”

Badges & Stats in Lviv