"Moldova - the most forgotten European country" Top 5 Page for this destination Moldova by ZiOOlek
Moldova Travel Guide: 655 reviews and 1,955 photos
Moldova is located in Eastern Europe, north - east of Romania and south - west of Ukraine. It has a population of about 4,2 million. The capital of Moldova is Chisinau.
From the XIV century it was a part of the Moldova Principality, situated between Oriental Carpathians and the Nistru river, in the north bounded by Hotin, and in the South ? by the Low Danube and the Black Sea.
Following the Peace concluded in Bucharest, in 1812, a part of this territory was asigned to Czarist Russia, which called it Basarabia - an older name, earlier attributed to the southern part. The aim was to identify this territory as a separate geographic entity from the Moldova Principality.
The Independence of the Democratic Republic of Moldova was proclaimed in January 1918. And later, on March 27 1918 it was decided to re-unite it with Romania. The next annexure process took place in 1940, following the Molotov - Ribbentrop summit. According to this Basarabia became part of the USSR and was proclaimed as the Soviet Socialist Republic of Moldavia. It comprised only nine Basarabian counties and six districts from the left bank of the Nistru River. The present territory of Moldova is smaller compared to the area attributed to Russian authorities in 1812, since the North Hotin, Acherman and the southern Ismail were given up in 1940 by the Soviet authorities to Ukraine.
Due to the restructuring process that started in the Central and Eastern Europe, in June 1990 Moldova proclaimed its sovereignty, and on August 27, 1991 ? its State Independence. In March 2, 1992, the Republic of Moldova became a member of the United Nations.
There are direct connections to/from the main cities of the Russia (Moscow, St.-Peterburg, Saratov), Ukraine (Kiev,... more travel advice
The archeological complex Old Orhei is situated in the valley of a right tributary of Dniestr ? Raut River, between the... more travel advice
ZiOOlek's Related Pages
Moldova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A long weekend to Moldova"
- "Moldova - The most Fascinated country!!!"
- "Moldova - the most forgotten European country"
- "Welcome to Moldova!!!"
- "I heard that Moldova had the most beautiful women."
- "Moldova - during national holidays"
- "Got Wine?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moldova
- Hotels in Moldova
- Transportation in Moldova
- Nightlife in Moldova
- Restaurants in Moldova
- Shopping in Moldova
- Warnings and Dangers in Moldova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Moldova
- 85 Reviews
- 200 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Moldova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moldova
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Katowice Intro, 88 reviews, 256 photos, 5 travelogues
- Krakow Intro, 56 reviews, 203 photos, 5 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 71 reviews, 187 photos, 1 travelogue
- Brussels Intro, 48 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Sucha Beskidzka Intro, 44 reviews, 109 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lviv Intro, 44 reviews, 104 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chisinau Intro, 30 reviews, 78 photos
- Prague Intro, 23 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Wroclaw Intro, 25 reviews, 68 photos, 1 travelogue
- Inowroclaw Intro, 19 reviews, 73 photos, 2 travelogues