"North Vancouver is enjoying an upgrade" Top 5 Page for this destination North Vancouver by spitball

North Vancouver Travel Guide: 45 reviews and 126 photos

My original hometown

North Vancouver, which is located directly across the inlet from the city of Vancouver, is the place where I spent my early years growing up, we had alot of fun over there, farms along our street, a rooster crowing at the end of the lane, a view of Grouse mountain through our kitchen window, where skiers could be seen on the cut. Weekend hikes up this mountain were common, these days it's become thee thing to do for adventure hikers, it's called "the Grouse grind" now. Back in those days traffic in the city wasn't as it is today, and you could actually see all the way down into the states from the top of the mountain. Not much luck with that these days. Across the street from us were the Scotts who had chickens and a pregnant mattress down in their basement which seemed to birth kittens on a continual basis. I have a vivid memory of an old man pushing his steel wheeled wheelbarrow up our street some days, and the sound of the wheel on the concrete sidewalk sounded like thunder to me. Families all dressed in their finest, walking up our street on sundays going to church. Catching bull heads down at the bottom of Lonsdale beneath the Seven Seas floating restaurant which used to be the ferrie across the harbour. Building forts in the bushes and chasing waterstriders across the surface of the streams. Paper shack bullies. Two sulkies being pulled by two beautiful brown mares up our street on their way somewhere, deer leaping from lot to lot and across to the bush across the street from our house. The circus setting up on Lonsdale school grounds and staying for a week, watching the elephant sway from foot to foot in his trailer, then getting sneezed on by him, which left a few of us with little white droplets of snot on our arms. The Supervalue Grocery store on 19th and Lonsdale which had stuffed animal heads mounted on plaques collecting dust and hung on the store walls. Nygards beside Lonsdale school, Mom and Pops restaurant where everyone was welcome, Chows grocery on lower Lonsdale and Paines hardware store with it's classic very well worn wooden floor boards and sliding ladders which ran along the upper shelves. The Red and White grocery store at the corner of 23rd and Lonsdale, who's owners are still in the business but now are over in Edgemont village by the upper levels highway. And who still remember their old customers, it doesn't matter how long ago it seems.

Going Back To a Gentler Time

I think because of my early childhood memories, and sometimes I think I've got more than my fair share {not that I'm complaining mind..} I've always had this connection to earthy things. Like the smell of freshly broken soil, the rustle of wind-blown leaves, the crowing of a distant rooster, the clip-clopping of horses hooves on blacktop. The sight of a deer running through the neighbours yard and out and across our street to the 'bush' ~ and that bush was like our own special spot when we were young. We had a fallen tree over there that a bunch of us kids used to sit and bounce on, while singing Petula Clarks'
"Downtown"
at the top of our lungs! (Now I'm beginning to date myself).
Back then, the 60's, was a simpler time, safer then. The original Batman TV show was on, the neighbourhood could hear my dad yell "BATMAN!" when it would come on, and every kid would run to our house to watch it. Parents back then, could allow their kids to stay out after it got dark and not worry about them, because they had nothing to worry about.
We used to head out on Hell~oween night, fill our pillow cases to the breaking point, dump that off back at the ranch, and head out for more candies.
(we were only allowed to eat just a few, but always snuck some before we got home. Of course)
Sure, you would hear stories of someone finding a razor-blade inside an apple, so we were careful, dad would go through the loot, and see if there were any suspicious items. But nothing ever came up. I remember one year, a kid who lived in the next street got mugged by some older kids, who took all his candy, so our dad made us give him some of ours (but dad, that's our stuff, we,we ......oh, alright) The year they paved our street was one of the big thrills I remember, the whole street of us kids waited impatiently till the blacktop was ready, then we rode those bikes up and down that smooth blacktop till way after bedtime. Our fathers weren't going to stop our fun, and their quiet homes; so we all got back to our beds, and passed out completely till morning. Wide awake and geared up to do it all over again! But now we had to watch it. Traffic! But it was only a two lane, so we still had fun.

Long Hikes to Distant Lands

One very nice area when I was younger, and it still is to this day, is the Lynn Canyon Park. We would ride our bikes there, it was a long ride, especially on young legs. But once you got there, mann, it was the greatest playground anyone could wish for! Hectares of woods to get lost in. None of us ever really got lost, we always could trust our friends not to run too far away from us. But sometimes during a game of hide and seek, little one's could get worried. The Lynn Canyon Suspension bridge is still hanging there between the gorge. Once in awhile you'll hear stories of tragic events out there, but all in all, its as safe as you want it to be. When I was small, I really had a huge problem with heights, and when that bridge would bounce and sway from all the foot traffic, I really got concerned. Later as teen-agers, we'd run across there, leaping and jumping to try and make that thing move. When you're a teen, you like disrupting people. I joined in, I'll admit it, but not if I could see that the people were worried, because I still remembered what that felt like.

• Pros:Close to the mountains, with a fantastic view of Vancouver
  • Cons:Because of the mountains, you get more rain than Vancouver
  • In a nutshell:It's still one of the most beautiful places on the north shore
  • Last visit to North Vancouver: Sep 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 15, 2006

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Bears? I think you need a warning tip!

• canuck68's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 10:30 PM

Hi. I loved your North Van pages. I lived there when I was young in lower Capilano. Many years before you, I suspect. I liked it there and yes, there was lots for kids to do. Thanks for the memories.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 9:03 PM

This place is obviously for you full of memories. It is great to read you! Thanks for sharing! Haha, amazing local customs!

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Hi R@nd, Yes our weather this Summer very hot, too. July was barely bearable & records set for sustained hi temps. But, good news -our big hot & smoky fire now under control. Doug

• dreamtraveller's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 9:46 PM

My Hair was standing on end looking at the pic out the passengers seat. What a way to see the lions. -got my personal image on,but can't email any vts

• CdnJane's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 12:10 PM

Granville Market is nice, but i really enjoy Lonsdale Quay. Great place for lunch and an afternoon. Also remember when the mall opened there - first enclosed mall in Canada. just don't remember the name!

spitball Used To Live Here!

spitball

“Canst Thou Not See It My Liege ?, Tis But Three Blocks North Of The Delicatessen ;)”

Badges & Stats in North Vancouver

Have you been to North Vancouver?