"Quaint Areas Near the City of Vancouver" Top 5 Page for this destination Steveston by spitball

Steveston Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 231 photos

Finn Slough

One of my favorite area's on the outskirts of Vancouver, is a small hamlet called: Finn Slough, which is not very far from Steveston.
Its an old finnish fishing community on the Fraser river, where you'll find a small amount of homes & sheds, on stilts.
The fish boats docked there, list in the shallow waters, awaiting a higher tide.
There are only a few homes here now, so when visiting, you must remain mindful of the residences privacy. If you read the pages on Finn Slough, you'll get the current and past stories going on there.
Not the happiest of situations these days.

Archaic Relics

This community largely in the past, relied on the tides to make their living. There are still some people who do this, but mostly they have found other work. It's a quiet spot, and here you can view bald eagle, hawks, muskrat, waterfowl, a great place for artists and photographers alike. I love spending hours down here making photograph's, its very peaceful.

Past Lives

This is the Dinner Plate island school that was in the past, used for the tiny community. Beside it sits a home, built on the man-made island. Life here moves at a completely slower pace, and dogs sleep undisturbed. If you come out here for a visit, either to make some photograph's, or paint, you won't be bothered at all. Finn Slough has been used in the recent past as a location for films.

• Pros:Quiet and Small
  • Cons:In Grave Danger Of Disappearing
  • In a nutshell:Steveston like Finn Slough is also a nice place
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2006

• Rhondaj's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2008 at 1:47 PM

i wouldn't want to have to navigate to the entrance of that fishing shack after a night out celebrating my birthday.... hope your's is a good one!

• Ekahau's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Randall Rand Ran-doll, Rangeet I can see why you like this place I love your photos and your humor is fantastic I will add you to my friends list

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 11:49 AM

I love Finn Slough. I'm actually considering writing a history of it for a research project.

• youngpup's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 11:40 AM

I've only been out here a couple of times, but you make it sound like I should get there a few more. Thankyou

• Tugboatguy's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 3:00 AM

Hi R@nd, Gr8t page-good tip-seem to recall a marine chandlery in Steveston, still there? BTW, the Wunderground link in my pages seems to work Worldwide for your local or wherever weather report. Doug

spitball Visits Here Frequently!

spitball

“Canst Thou Not See It My Liege ?, Tis But Three Blocks North Of The Delicatessen ;)”

Badges & Stats in Steveston

Have you been to Steveston?

Latest Activity in Steveston