"Kilauea Lighthouse" Kilauea by spitball
Kilauea Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 41 photos
The former plantation town of Kilauea is just past the 23 mile marker and is accessible off Kolo Road. It is known for the Kilauea Lighthouse, which is a postcard waiting to happen.
Perched on a bluff and representing the northernmost point of the main Hawaiian Islands. When it was built in 1913, it had the largest clamshell lens in existence and was used until the mid '70s when it was replaced by a beacon.
Directly offshore is Moku'ae'ae Island, a bird sanctuary. You can take yourself on a self-guided tour of the lighthouse area, the access up to the light is off limits, but you can wander at will. Also you can sign out binoculars to use while you are there, which come in very handy as there are all kinds of sea birds and sites to look at.
The view from the bluff is incredible, and well worth the visit. If you've never been close to a lighthouse, make sure you add this to your list for your visit.
The Kilauea Lighthouse was built in 1913, and had the largest clamshell lens in existence and was used until the mid '70s when it was replaced by a beacon.
Directly offshore is Moku'ae'ae Island, a bird sanctuary. And if you take out a pair of binocular you'll get a closer look, there are even some viewers located for the public. When I was here, there were plenty of Hawaii' national bird, the Nene wandering around. These are heavily protected, and should not be fed and/or approached. Still, they are so abundant that you should have very little trouble getting a photo.
- Pros:Historical and a beautiful view
- In a nutshell:For a little history, and a fantastic view
spitball's Related Pages
Kilauea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the North Shore"
- "doolemma's Princeville Page"
- "KAUAI Princeville the garden island"
- "Princeville Page"
- "Kilauea Lighthouse"
- "North Kauai"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kilauea
- Hotels in Kilauea
- Restaurants in Kilauea
- Shopping in Kilauea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kilauea
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kilauea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kilauea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Vancouver Intro, 46 reviews, 143 photos, 4 travelogues
- Victoria Intro, 21 reviews, 118 photos, 5 travelogues
- Kauai Intro, 16 reviews, 59 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Vancouver Intro, 8 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Honolulu Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos
- Mexico City Intro, 2 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Canada Intro, 4 reviews, 13 photos
- Guanajuato Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Vancouver Island Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos