"Sorsogon is the Whale Shark Capital of The World" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Sorsogon by bike_packer
Province of Sorsogon Travel Guide: 207 reviews and 876 photos
The ultimate experience in Sorsogon is to swim side-by-side with 8-m long whale sharks. Yes, these are sharks, locally known as "Butandings", but they are of the FRIENDLY kind. They feed mainly on planktons and not of the one that comes first to your mind.
In 2004, Time Magazine chose the "Butanding" (local name for whale shark) Interaction Program in Donsol Bay as the "Best Place For An Animal Encounter" in this planet. The place seems to attract more of these big fishes (the longest I?ve seen and swam with is about 8m long) cause they find their favorite food, planktons to be a-plenty and better-tasting (maybe) at the mouth of Donsol River and Ogud River.
Best to venture on the months of March, April and May in Donsol Bay.
My family did this thing in April 2004. The thrill and excitement of the experience have haunted us that we are back this April 2006.
Some basic rules of engagement. >> Never touch the animal. >> No camera flash. >> Don't impede the movement of the animal. The closest we got is about less than a meter and swam side by side in 30 seconds.
Eco-Tourism employs Local Fishermen.
The story goes that local fishermen years ago use to hunt these big whale sharks considering that they are believed to be man-eaters. "Better take the first step" mindset. But then with the help of WWF, the local fishermen were informed of the real score about these friendly whale sharks. Encouraging them to protect them instead, the WWF organized the locals and taught them how to do it and offering the place as an Eco-Tourism destination thereby giving them an alternative livelihood. That gave birth to the BIOmen (Butanding Interaction Officer). And that's one for the book.
Towering at the other half southern part of Sorsogon, Mt Bulusan -an active volcano is an imposing natural beauty for the half a dozen towns located at its foot's perimeter.
For the nature-lover; 2 lakes, countless waterfalls, hot springs and cold springs at the slope of the mountain are within the 3700 hectares of the Bulusan Volcano Natural Park - mostly could be reached by vehicles and a short hike. The biodiversity of the park is well preserved - the surrounding forests is home to rare and exotic plants, birds and animals.
- Pros:The Butanding Interaction Experience, Bulusan Natural Park
- Cons:Butanding Season is a 5-month-only-a-year affair.
- In a nutshell:Sorsogon - Deep-in-the-Water or Up-in-the-Mountain Adventure Destination
The town of Matnog in Sorsogon is where the southernmost tip of the Maharlika Highway in mainland Luzon ends. Just... more travel advice
Staying overnight at Sta. Magdalena, Sorsogon; Olango Beach was the chosen place. Fine white sand and torquoise blue... more travel advice
bike_packer's Related Pages
Province of Sorsogon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sorsogon is the Whale Shark Capital of The World"
- "At last a city"
- "SORSOGON THE LAST PARADISE"
- "LAND OF NATURAL SPLENDOR!"
- "The Last Leg of Luzon"
- "Province of Sorsogon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Sorsogon
- Hotels in Province of Sorsogon
- Transportation in Province of Sorsogon
- Nightlife in Province of Sorsogon
- Restaurants in Province of Sorsogon
- Shopping in Province of Sorsogon
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Sorsogon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Sorsogon
- 24 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Province of Sorsogon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Sorsogon
- updated a Province of Sorsogon Travel Page "Sorsogon is the Whale Shark Capital of The World"
- Posted in Travel Vientiane Forum "Re: Udon Thani to Vientianne and..."
- Wrote a Review Drive to the Southernmost Tip of Luzon in Province of Sorsogon Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sorsogon-Samar Ferry"
- Commented on one of asianbelle's Province of Sorsogon travel pages
Photos in Province of SorsogonSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Bohol Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cebu Intro, 19 reviews, 43 photos
- Province of Tawi-Tawi Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zamboanga City Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Marinduque Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Claveria Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues