Corregidor Island Things to Do Tips by bike_packer
Corregidor Island Things to Do: 117 reviews and 280 photos
Malinta Tunnel Entrance
Done by manual labor in the early 1900's, Malinta Tunnel was originally built as an arsenal and depot for the US Forces that time. Built beneath the rocky Malinta Hill, it is but normal to convert it as a bomb-proofed hospital and headquarter during the 2nd World War. The main tunnel stretching 250m long and 7 1/2m wide has a few dozens of smaller lateral tunnels branching perpendicular to it.
Now, as the main attraction for tourists visiting Corregidor Island, the tunnel has been restored and a Light & Sound Show is presented right inside the tunnel depicting the historical events the tunnel had witnessed.
A night tour of the tunnel is offered to overnight guests - a more detailed tour of the tunnel and its laterals.
The complete tour of the Malinta tunnel (that is, access to the more intricate sub-tunnels) is offered only to overnight guests. Tour fee at P50.00 per head (inclusive of the sunset and other side tours at dusk and dawn), never never miss this.
Inividually provided wth rechargeable flashlights on hand, we toured the intricate sub-tunnels of this once underground depot, hospital and headquarters. Narrower tunnels that serves as escape routes are built interconnecting the inner ends of the sub-tunnels
The creepy part of it is when all flashlights were intentionally turned off in the innermost tunnel. Pitchblack. Scared the wits of some. The tour was done in 30minutes.
Directions: It started with an orientation of the tour using the detailed map at the entrance of the tunnel. You won't get lost, just don't go astray from the group.
A good way to get a feel of the orientation of the island with respect to the surrounding land and water bodies is to get a 360 deg. view at the top of the old Spanish lighthouse. Also, get a bird's eyeview of the island ruins and landmarks as seen from this elevated level. Anyway, it's just an easy 12m high spiral stair climb to the viewdeck.
Battery Grubbs is strategically located at the highest point of the western side of the island giving a good view of the South China Sea. Part of the first line of defense then against those entering Manila Bay. Being at such location, the beautiful sunset is awesome here.
A spare barrel for the big gun was lying on the ground. The more my kids appreciated how big and powerful they are.
More Reviews (9)
bike_packer's Related Pages
Corregidor Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Corregidor - Island of Bravery and Honour"
- "The Rock"
- "Corregidor: Fortress of Freedom"
- "Corregidor Island"
- "CORREGIDOR ISLAND"
- "Corregidor, Bastion of Freedom Fighters"
- "CORREGIDOR: THE LAST REFUGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Corregidor Island
- Hotels in Corregidor Island
- Transportation in Corregidor Island
- Nightlife in Corregidor Island
- Restaurants in Corregidor Island
- Shopping in Corregidor Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Corregidor Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Corregidor Island
- 13 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Corregidor Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Corregidor Island
- Posted in Travel Vientiane Forum "Re: Udon Thani to Vientianne and..."
- Commented on one of yellowbell's Corregidor Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Only Hotel in the Island in Corregidor Island Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Only Hotel in the Island"
- updated a Corregidor Island Travel Page "Corregidor: from War Fortress to Friendship Island"
Photos in Corregidor IslandSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Bohol Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cebu Intro, 19 reviews, 43 photos
- Province of Tawi-Tawi Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zamboanga City Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Marinduque Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Claveria Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues