Donsol Local Custom Tips by bike_packer Top 5 Page for this destination
Donsol Local Customs: 3 reviews and 4 photos
Standing about 3 meters above on top of the boat, the Spotter of the Butanding Interaction Activity should have the keenest of vision. Looking for that black-shadowy thing just below the water surface and a protruding dorsal fin, the Spotter tells the boat skipper the heading. It depends mostly on him the number of dives the group may have for the day.
Fishermen when it's lean season, the boat's crew use the same skills in spotting schools of fish come fishing season.
Eco-Tourism employs Local Fishermen.
The story goes that local fishermen years ago use to hunt these big whale sharks considering that they are believed to be man-eaters. "Better take the first step" mindset. But then with the help of WWF, the local fishermen were informed of the real score about these friendly whale sharks. Encouraging them to protect them instead, the WWF organized the locals and taught them how to do it and offering the place as an Eco-Tourism destination thereby giving them an alternative livelihood. That gave birth to the BIOmen (Butanding Interaction Officer). And that's one for the book.
More Reviews (14)
- See All What is a Butanding?
- See All Day is Done. - Relax!
- See All Underwater Camera
- Maximize the 7 Persons/Boat Capacity
bike_packer's Related Pages
Donsol Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Donsol is Butanding"
- "DONSOL, HOME OF THE WHALESHARK"
- "Go for the Whale Sharks, Leave with a lot more"
- "Donsol and the Butanding"
- "Wwhhhoooaaa! what do we have here??"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Donsol
- Hotels in Donsol
- Transportation in Donsol
- Nightlife in Donsol
- Restaurants in Donsol
- Shopping in Donsol
- Warnings and Dangers in Donsol
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Donsol
- 16 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Donsol?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Donsol
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Bohol Intro, 29 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Boracay Island Intro, 28 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Baguio Intro, 15 reviews, 61 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Cebu Intro, 19 reviews, 43 photos
- Province of Tawi-Tawi Intro, 14 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Province of Marinduque Intro, 15 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zamboanga City Intro, 17 reviews, 41 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manila Intro, 9 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dumaguete City Intro, 17 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Claveria Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues