"A magical place" Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Arran by TravellingSpirit
Isle of Arran Travel Guide: 103 reviews and 538 photos
I have just spent the weekend in one of my favourite places in the world (at least as much as I’ve seen of it anyway). The Isle of Arran lies off the Ayrshire coast and has the most amazing atmosphere; one of peace and healing. There are standing stones all across the island so there is an ancient history of good energies there – I’m told it’s all about lay lines, but I don’t begin to understand. The island is 65 miles around and has a resident population of about 5,000, which doubles with the influx of visitors in the summer. There are more than 50 peaks on the island and you can really get a flavour of the best of Scottish scenery in a very manageable chunk.
I wondered down to the sea at my favourite times, early morning when the air is full of dew, and last thing at night, when it is so peaceful and I am the only person in the world. I seem to have a compulsion to climb on the rocks as far out into the sea as I can. I was sat on a rock in front of Brodick main street at night with a sense of water all around me but flowing a foot above other rocks so that it seemed as if I could just step onto them. For me, there is such security in the sea – maybe I was a water sprite in a past life!
I am progressing, in that I not only take my camera places with me but am trying to start actually to take photos with it too! Others have obtained very good results with my camera so I think it is my operation that is failing. Don't judge anywhere too harshly by my photos - it really is a beautiful place.
- Pros:Scenery and people
- Cons:Island life - some may find it a little parochial
- In a nutshell:Peace and healing for the soul
There are standing stones and stone circles all over Arran. The main site of these is at Machrie, on the West coast of... more travel advice
TravellingSpirit's Related Pages
Isle of Arran Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ARRAN SCOTTISH MICROCOSM?"
- "SCOTLAND IN MINIATURE"
- "Arran - Small Island, Huge Landscape."
- "A magical place"
- "Isle of Arran"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isle of Arran
- Hotels in Isle of Arran
- Transportation in Isle of Arran
- Restaurants in Isle of Arran
- Shopping in Isle of Arran
- Warnings and Dangers in Isle of Arran
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isle of Arran
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Isle of Arran?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isle of Arran
Top 5 Pages
- Glasgow Intro, 9 reviews, 7 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guernsey Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isle of Arran Intro, 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Trinidad Intro, 2 reviews, 5 photos
- Prestwick Intro, 2 reviews, 4 photos