"A place called home" Prestwick by TravellingSpirit

Prestwick Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 10 photos

Where is it?

Someone said to me today that they hadn't realised that Prestwick is in Scotland (which is in the UK) so I decided to get something put here to tell you about the place I live in.

Prestwick lies to the West of Glasgow, about one third of the way up Scotland's west coast. It is a sea-side town and has views across to the Isle of Arran. I live about a mile from the beach and spend some time most days wandering along that beach. I love it.

Prestwick is a very easy town to get to and to leave. There is a small airport here, but it is possible to get flights from here to most of the western European countries. If we want to travel further then we are only 30 miles away from Glasgow where there is another airport from where we can catch planes to most places. There is a train from Prestwick to Glasgow each half hour.

Prestwick itself is quite a quiet town, and doesn't have many things here to do and see (except from the beach which is it's best point, in my opinion). It does have a swimming pool and a bowling centre and a youth centre where there are regular musical events. We are about 4 miles from Ayr where there is a cinema, theatre, and good places to eat. The ice rink in Prestwick used to be the home for the Scottish Eagles, the national ice hockey team, until about three years ago. I'm not one for watching sports, but watching ice hockey matches was a lot of fun. There is talk that the team may come back to Prestwick, but I'm not sure how real this is.

There was the most amazing moon when I was at the beach this evening (though it did look better in real life).

• Intro Updated Jan 14, 2006

• trav4bus's Profile Photo
    Jul 2, 2010 at 2:51 AM

Amazing introduction of Prestwick..other pages are good too.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 1:15 PM

Looks like an interesting place ;-)

• nhoolb's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Wandering through your pages: Prestwick! Very nice to read! It has a magical sound to me as I remember the times when it used to be the airport for the jump across the ocean. And the Prestwick Oceanic Control Center still exists. Cheers! Noel

• DAO's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Happy belated Birthday, Christmas and NY to you! I actually ended up in New York's times Sq by accident on New Year's Eve.

• poons's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM

Hey up there in Prestwick! Happy Birthday, hope you get spoilt rotten. X

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2008 at 1:48 PM

Nice sky photos. I live near the airport too.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2007 at 5:10 AM

Hope you will add more pictures and observations about what life is like in Prestwick!

• y2ketan2007's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Prestwick may be small but it is beautiful.You can be proud of your home town.Regards.

• Knoto's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 7:15 AM

Looks like a wonderful hometown. Greetings from Germany Peter

• jghpmontt's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2007 at 1:54 PM

do you have more pics of Prestwick...

TravellingSpirit Lives Here!

TravellingSpirit

“Where there is great love, there are always miracles (W Cather)”

Badges & Stats in Prestwick

Have you been to Prestwick?

Latest Activity in Prestwick