"Just Another Travel Page" nadkid's Profile

Let's see where we get!

I have not really thought about what I want to do with this page yet. So I guess I just start writing and see where it brings me to. Would be nice if someone happens to read it...

Well I, like most people here, love travelling. It is so nice to see all the different places with your own eyes, smell the air, watch the differen people, enjoy sunrises and sunsets, swim and scuba dive in different waters, taste the food and local drinks use different means of transportation etc.

Also I write German diaries about almost all my trips for a few years now. Just thinking about a way to make them more interesting (by adding cultural information etc), but I do not always have the time for that.

My hometown

Engen is my hometown, or at least I was born there and I lived there for a bit. Still go there at least once a year cause most of my familie still lives there. I like the city and the surrounding a lot and hope I can find the time to discover it again with my husband.
The church in the old town is quite pretty, there are some nice buildings (very German) and views, also a nice museum, camping and swimming pool. Nice German and Italian restaurants there and a nice shop/bar where you can drink and taste some good wine.

Close to:
Singen: Nice for shopping
Lake Constance: Mainau Island, Boot trips, various nice places
Affenberg Salem: feed the Barbary Macaques
Unteruhldingen: Lake-dwelling Museum
Switzerland: Stein am Rhein and Schaffhausen (Rhine Falls)

But there is much more, that is just what I remember right now.

The city where I lived for about 9 years

That would be Ingelheim. I have not been there for a few years but know that a lot has changed since I lived there. The city grow bigger, new shops opend, shops that I knew do not exist anymore...
I actually do not remember much right now. But I know that I liked walking along the River Selz. During the summers we had a caravan at the rhine camping. I actually swam in the dirty water would never do that again.

I remember a very bad day about 15 years ago. My brother and me were still kids and we were playing at the camping about 20 minutes walking from where my parents stayed at that moment (at our caravane place). We where swimming in the rhine when the sky became all black and purple and red (and a few other very strange colours). Suddely there was some flashing and the wind became stronger and stronger. The mother of the kids at wich place we stayed at, grapped us from the beach and told us to step into her car. She brought us all the way to her house, driving trough the forest where we saw trees hitten on the ground by the storm, in front of us, behind us, next to us. I really don't know how she actually got us save and alive to her place. Once we where there we had to run inside (we where soaked after a few seconds in the rain). The light was turned of, we got some warm clothes and had to stay in the bedroom.
In the meantime my mother was searching for us, driving with her Vespa to where she thought we were but was told that we are save at the peoples house. She went back to our caravan and had to save the tent by 'hanging' on it together with my father.
I was so afraid and crying all the time cause I knew there was a big dangerous tree on our camping ground that could easily hit my parents caravan. The tree actually hit a caravan but the one of our neighbour and she survived it with a huge shock. My parents and all our belongings were ok, too. The two caravans of the people at which place we were before the storm started were totally destroyed, if we would have stayed there we'd been killed. This whole thing made such a huge impression on me that this is about all I can think about when trying to remember Ingelheim.

City of my teen years

Bingen was the City I lived in as a teenager. Famous for Hildegard of Bingen, the Mouse Tower and next year for the Landesgartenschau (Garden show).
There is a nice Cocktail Bar at the Rhine and some other nice bars and restaurants. The nature is beautiful in and around Bingen. Rüdesheim is just on the other side of the Rhine and very famous amongst tourist (I actually do not quite get why).
I never saw how beatiful Bingen and its surrounding is before I moved to Holland and came back as visitor.

I also advice you to go to Weiler by car and to stop after a bit on the mountain. There is a parking place with a nice view. Every time I go to Bingen I want to make a picture there, or actually two, one with a nice blue sky and one during the night.

In September there is the so called Winzerfest, you should definately go there and drink some nice wine if you happen to be there around that time. There are actually a lot of those 'carnival leasure happenings' around Bingen starting in July I think (i.e. Kreuznacher Jahrmarkt - Bad Kreuznach, Rotweinfest - Ingelheim).

The Cities of my Study Years

That would be Mainz in Germany and Breda or Oosterhout in the Netherlands. For five month I also lived in Brisbane Australia.

If i had to choose my favourite city out of al the cities I lived at, the choice would be made easily and the answer would be Brisbane. I lived there for only five month but got the feeling that this is the city I got to know the most.

Where I live now

I live close to Utrecht in a town that is family friendly but for the rest quite boring. I actually don't know Utrecht that wel yet. Need yet to go on a huge discovery tour.

• Intro Updated Mar 11, 2009

• Jul 16, 2008 at 1:28 AM

If I count as someone, you wish came true. Happy travels! Tom

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 11:42 AM

Happy Birthday! May you have a long life full of great travels.

• mturkkan's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 3:21 AM

happy birthday, and may the New Year bring peace, and plenty of travelling

• Laura_Mexico's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 2:49 AM

Wish you a happy birthday and a nice 2008 too!! Greetings from Mexico :)

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2007 at 4:18 AM

Thank you for your answer. I was trained as a psychologist, so I was curious how your past is affecting your presence. Certain fearful stimuli go directly into the part of the brain which is not easy to control. Have a good day.

• ghibli88's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2007 at 3:15 AM

Hi Nadja,greetings from Italy.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
nadkid's Profile Photo

nadkid

“Learn about cultures, enjoy the nature, relax and have fun”

Ranked Member