"A Typical Valleys Town" Aberdare by Myfanwe
Aberdare Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 24 photos
Aberdare is a small town in the Cynon Valley, just 24 Miles North West of Cardiff. The town developed in the early nineteenth Century specifically for the Iron and Coal Industries. Nowadays, since the decline of the Mines and Ironworks, the Town has become a peaceful place to live with a pleasant town centre surrounded by some beautiful Countryside.
There are some lovely old buildings in and around the town centre. Sadly many are in decline but there are signs that some are being restored. St Elvan Church in the centre of town is over 200 years old.
The composer of the Welsh National Anthem lived in the Cynon Valley until his death and his remains are buried in Aberdare Cemetary.
The former members of the Rock Band, Stereophonics were from Cwmaman, a village near Aberdare and the Actor Ioan Gruffudd was from Llwydcoed near the town.
There are some lovely walking trails around Aberdare. A good place to start is the Dare Valley Country Park which is situated about 2 Miles away from the Town Centre.
- Pros:The Dare Valley Country Park...
- Cons:Take a brolly with you, the weather can change in a second..
Dare Valley Country Park offers a range of Accomodation options. There is a lovely flat campsite just accross the road... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Aberdare Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Aberdare
- 2 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Aberdare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aberdare
Photos in AberdareSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos