"Beautiful Bala" Bala by Myfanwe

Bala Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 131 photos

Bala is a charming little market town situated amongst the rolling hills of the Snowdonia National Park in North Wales. It is most widely known for its' lake - Llyn Tegid which is the largest fresh water lake in Wales being 6.4km long and 1.3km wide. The lake was formed during the ice age 26,000 to 10,000 years ago. Llyn Tegid has been designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest due to the wide and varied amount of flora and fauna found here. A rare fish called the Gwyniad can be found in the waters of Llyn Tegid which is the only lake in Wales to support this species. It is believed the Gwyniad was imprisoned in the lake during the last ice age.

Bala town consists of a bustling little tree lined high street (Stryd Fawr) which has many lovely craft shops, galleries, restaurants, pubs, grocery shops and take away outlets.

There is a picturesque Narrow Guage Railway in Bala which runs along the shores of Llyn Tegid from Llanuwchllyn in the South to Bala offering breathtaking views of the lake and surrounding countryside.

• Pros:Beautiful scenery
  • Cons:Rain, rain, rain.
  • Last visit to Bala: Aug 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 31, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Snowdonia is rich in fabulous places! Thanks for your story, Vicki!

• Myfanwe's Profile Photo
      Jun 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Thanks for your visit to my Bala page! Hope all is well in my twin town of Luhansk :-)

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Vicki, fabulous little page about Bala. Although I have been twice to Wales, I must admit that I haven't even heard of Bala before. Maybe I should explore more of lovely Wales soon. Happy new year 2011.

• Balam's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 9:52 AM

I don't know, i don't think so but you never know. they are picking us up from the hotel at 14:15 and they said they will get us back for 18:30 (we have cocktails at 19:00)

• Gillybob's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2010 at 12:33 PM

This weekend to Chester and then September its Halifax - but proper travels aren't till mid October to USA for Fredericksburg meet. Gillybob greetings

• davesut's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Hi Vicki, your pics and comments cheered me up, first day back in work today, bah. I see you got to see a bit more of Bala than the camp site, shame we missed the Eisteddfod but having seen it on S4C I'm not so sure!

Myfanwe

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift that's why we call it the present....”

Badges & Stats in Bala