"Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..." Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly by Myfanwe
Caerphilly Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 420 photos
Caerphilly is a small town roughly 7 miles North of Cardiff. I was brought up in & around this town, I grew up with the grounds of the gigantic Castle as a playground; running in and out the ancient hidey holes & feeding the ducks on the moat which surrounds it. The Castle is situated in the centre of the bustling town centre with a range of shops not far away. The locals separate the shopping areas into two - the top of town & the bottom of town!! The top of town being the original shopping street on the hill towards the train station and the bottom of town is the more recently developed Castle court shopping centre directly opposite the Castle. Parking is easy here and to be honest I prefer to do my shopping here than go to Cardiff!
Caerphilly Castle is famous for its leaning tower. When I was younger, an uncle of mine used to tell me that he was working in the castle and every day he would take a break and lean up against the tower which is why it leans so much today!!
The Castle was built in the late 13th century by the Anglo-Norman lord, Gilbert de Clare. It is an example of the concentric 'walls within walls' defence system - as well as the surrounding moats which helped keep the enemy out.
A recent addition to Caerphilly is the visitor centre. This attractive building is situated opposite the castle just below the Twyn car park. It has a vast amount of literature on attractions in the area aswell as many Welsh gifts including Welsh language books if you have an urge to learn some of the lingo!!
Across the road from the Visitor Centre you'll find a modern shopping development called Castle Court, here you'll find a mixture of shops selling books, shoes, cards, gifts a chemist & a supermarket.
Last but not least, I have to mention the glorious countryside surrounding Caerphilly. Caerphilly mountain lies North of Cardiff separating the Capital City of Wales from this small Castle town. The mountain road provides the link between the two. At the top of the mountain lies the Mountain top snack bar - here you'll find the best cure for a hangover, fresh mountain air & a bap filled with bacon, egg, sausages, burgers, mushrooms - you name it, they got it!! Across the road from the car park lies Caerphilly Common. The well marked footpaths lead you to the peak of the mountain & will offer fantastic views to the North over Caerphilly, the Valleys and as far as Brecon Beacons on a clear day. Similarly looking southwards & you will get a panoramic view of Cardiff, the Bristol Channel and England in the distance on a clear day.
- Pros:Within easy reach of Cardiff by train, bus or car.
- Cons:Be prepared for rain showers!!
The Iron Bridge is now a listed stucture. It was built in 1826 to take the new carriage way from the Castle through Coed... more travel advice
Ruperra Castle was built in 1626 by Sir Thomas Morgan, who was knighted by King James 1st. It was a typical Jacobean... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Caerphilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- "Caerphilly Rains"
- "ordinary town with a medieval castle!"
- "Caerphilly - famous for two things!"
- "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- "Caerphilly, famed for cheese and leaning castle"
- "Caerphilly - Caerffili"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerphilly
- Transportation in Caerphilly
- Restaurants in Caerphilly
- Shopping in Caerphilly
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerphilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caerphilly
- 20 Reviews
- 102 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Caerphilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerphilly
- Posted in Travel Cardiff Forum "Re: The best public transport..."
- Commented on one of Balam's Caerphilly tips
- updated a Caerphilly Travel Page "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- Wrote a Review Wales' Own Ironbridge in Caerphilly Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Video to Caerphilly
Photos in CaerphillySee All Photos (102)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 56 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos