"Beautiful Bangor" Bangor by Myfanwe
Bangor Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 234 photos
Bangor is one of the smallest Cities in Britain however it's the fourth largest City in Wales. This great little place is situated on the North West Coast of Wales, separated from the Isle of Anglesey by the Menai Straits. It has a great Pier from which you can get some great views of Anglesey, the Menai Bridge and the Snowdonia Mountain Range. It is also alleged to have the longest High Street in Wales..
The origins of the city date back to the founding of a monastic establishment on the site of Bangor Cathedral by the Celtic saint Deiniol in the early 6th century AD. The name 'Bangor' itself is an old Welsh word for a type of fenced-in enclosure, such as was originally on the site of the cathedral. The present cathedral is a somewhat more recent building and has been extensively modified throughout the centuries.
Bangor is a hugely popular University City housing approximately 10,000 students per term. The University buildings command an excellent position, high up on the hilltop overlooking the Centre. These great old buildings are full of character and history; the University was founded in 1884.
- Pros:Wonderful views over the Menai Straits
- Cons:None that I can think of...
Bangor University commands a fine vantage position overlooking the centre of Bangor and beyond. These great Edwardian... more travel advice
Penrhyn Castle is a mighty, majestic Castle which sits on a hillside to the East of Bangor. It is owned and maintained... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Bangor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bangor - A University Town"
- "Bangor, aye!"
- "Beautiful Bangor"
- "Lets get started"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangor
- Hotels in Bangor
- Transportation in Bangor
- Nightlife in Bangor
- Restaurants in Bangor
- Shopping in Bangor
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangor
- 11 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Bangor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangor
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos