"Croeso i Gaerdydd/ Welcome to Cardiff" Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff by Myfanwe
Cardiff Travel Guide: 1,032 reviews and 2,996 photos
Cardiff has been my home for many years now, it has changed dramatically in that time. It is a fantastic place to live & visit.
Cardiff Castle is situated in the centre of the town, the shopping streets, parks & Civic centre all surround this great building. The Romans first built a fort on the site of Cardiff Castle in AD55, the Welsh Lord Owain Glyndwr burnt the city to the ground in the 15th Century and Lord Bute, the world's richest man in the late 19th century spent a fortune lavishly decorating the castle and creating the civic centre.
Cardiff is a great place to shop, the centre of the city boasts pedestrianised shopping streets, shopping centres, plus Edwardian and Victorian arcades where you will find small independant boutiques selling unique Welsh gifts.
The Civic centre is home to some stunning architecture, here you'll find the National Museum, City Hall, Law Courts & University Buildings.
A five minute drive from the centre will take you to Cardiff bay, Cardiff's revitalized dockland. 'The Bay' is home to many fascinating buildings, waterside restaurants, bars and coffee shops. Thanks to the Cardiff Barrage an area of tidal mudflats have now become the 500 acre freshwater lake of Cardiff Bay; this has given way to a hive of watersport & boating activities within the bay ranging from a relaxing boat trip up the river to an exhilerating speed boat ride over to the islands of flat holm and steep holm in the Severn estuary.
Cardiff is home to many beautiful parks and gardens just minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the City Centre. Bute park & Sophia gardens are situated on the banks of the river taff, just a stonesthrow away from the milennium stadium. Inside the castle grounds you will find lots of green spaces, ideal for relaxing on a summers day. The Alexandra gardens behind the City Hall offer some peaceful relaxation away from the madding crowd & the Gorsedd Gardens in front of the museum & City hall in Cathays park, provide the perfect location for lazing on a sunny afternoon. Gorsedd Gardens and the area around the Civic centre are the home to the Big Weekend in August. This is the UK's biggest free outdoor festival with a funfair, fireworks & a three day programme of non stop music - cool !!
Here's a link to the upcoming events in Cardiff.
- Pros:There's so much to do and see.
- Cons:None... it's fab.
- In a nutshell:From a busy day shopping to a quiet stroll in the countryside or on a beach - all a short distance away...
The Griffin is situated in the leafy suburb of Lisvane just 5 miles North of the City Centre. We popped in after a busy... more travel advice
The Parc Hotel is ideally situated right in the centre of Cardiff. It's just a stones throw away from the New Theatre,... more travel advice
- See All The Cardiff Centenary Walk
- Brains Beer
- See All The best pint of Guinness in Cardiff
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Cardiff Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cardiff - the friendly capital"
- "Prifddinas Cymru (Capital of Wales)"
- "Croeso i Gaerdydd/ Welcome to Cardiff"
- "Cosmopolitan Cardiff"
- "Cardiff ......My Hometown"
- "capital of Wales"
- "Caerdydd - Britain's young capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cardiff
- Hotels in Cardiff
- Transportation in Cardiff
- Nightlife in Cardiff
- Restaurants in Cardiff
- Shopping in Cardiff
- Warnings and Dangers in Cardiff
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cardiff
- 57 Reviews
- 170 Photos
- 19 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Cardiff?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cardiff
Photos in CardiffSee All Photos (170)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos