"Olde English Hereford" Top 5 Page for this destination Hereford by Myfanwe
Hereford Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 134 photos
Hereford is a fabulous historic City with many things to do and see in the City itself and the surrounding area. The City is situated close to the Welsh border and lies not far from one of the important link roads from South Wales to the NW of England. Hereford is surrounded by glorious countryside and there are many walking and cycle trails which can be enjoyed all year round.
Among the points of interest in Hereford there is a medieval bridge across the River Wye close to the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary and St Ethelbert. The City dates from the 7th century and the Cathedral from 1079 AD, making it one of the oldest in England. Its true origins may by earlier, its strategic position being based on geography as much as politics. The area is devoted primarily to arable and livestock farming in equal measure together with extensive woodland cultivation, forestry, plant husbandry, apple and soft fruit growing. Hereford is the home of the largest cider maker in the world and was the birthplace of the famous Hereford breed of cattle
Shopping is great in Hereford, there are the usual high street shops and indoor market. I visited in December so it was great to see the Christmas decorations and also a Christmas Market in the square.
This great old road bridge was built in 1490, and had a gate that was demolished in 1782. The bridge was widened in... more travel advice
The Mappa Mundi is a unique map of the World dating back from the 13th Century. It's the only complete wall map of Earth... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Hereford Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Olde English Hereford"
- "Amongst the orchards lies a place of pilgrimage..."
- "Nice cathedral city in a pretty corner of England"
- "Hereford ~ Mappa Mundi ~ Closed Sundi"
- "A Friendly Place"
- "Cathedral City or Market Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hereford
- Hotels in Hereford
- Transportation in Hereford
- Restaurants in Hereford
- Warnings and Dangers in Hereford
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hereford
- 8 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Hereford?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hereford
Photos in HerefordSee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos