"Laugharne - the home of Dylan Thomas" Top 5 Page for this destination Laugharne by Myfanwe
Laugharne Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 101 photos
Laugharne (pronounced 'larn') is a small village in the heart of Carmarthenshire, South Wales. It is most famous for being the home of the famous poet Dylan Thomas whose play 'Under Milk Wood' was based on characters livng in the village. Many visitors flock to see the boat house where Dylan Thomas lived, the writing shed which inspired much of his work and the Browns hotel which was his favourite watering hole. The hub of the village is built around the estuary of the River Taf with the Norman castle dominating the skyline.
Just up the road from the castle lies the 'Browns Hotel' this was by far the favourite watering hole of Dylan Thomas. It is said that Dylan Thomas was quite a loner and used to sit in the bar listening to other conversations, occasionally jotting down notes and ideas for his poems on cigarette papers.
Browns Hotel is now co owned by the popular British TV Actor Neil Morrissey who made a bid for the pub when it went up for Auction - the Grade II listed building sold for £670,000 GBP. Neil Morrisey and his partner also own the Hurst Hotel and the Three Mariners pub & B&B,
- Pros:Small & beautiful
- Cons:The car park floods in the winter!
Laugharne Castle is a magnificent castle holding a prominent position over the estuary of the River Taf. The original... more travel advice
The Town Hall is a lovely whitewashed building with a great clocktower, situated on the main road into the village. It... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Laugharne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Laugharne - the home of Dylan Thomas"
- "Dylan Thomas, without the traffic"
- "Under Milk Wood"
- "Dylan Thomas Land"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Laugharne
- Hotels in Laugharne
- Transportation in Laugharne
- Nightlife in Laugharne
- Restaurants in Laugharne
- Shopping in Laugharne
- Warnings and Dangers in Laugharne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Laugharne
- 12 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Laugharne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Laugharne
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Not the best of birthdays for..."
- updated a Laugharne Travel Page "Laugharne - the home of Dylan Thomas"
- Commented on one of Balam's Laugharne travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Sunny day at Laugharne Castle"
- Wrote a Review Laugharne Castle in Laugharne Things to Do
Photos in LaugharneSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos