"The town with the Clock" Machynlleth by Myfanwe
Machynlleth Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 39 photos
Machynlleth is a charming little Market Town situated small market town with a population of around 2,000. It stands by the River Dyfi in Mid Wales at the head of the beautiful Dyfi estuary. For such a small town it has a lot of history - its main claim to fame being the location for the crowning of the Welsh rebel Owain Glyndwr as Prince of Wales in 1404, and for his holding of a parliament in the town. There are several historic buildings in the town including the medieval town house known as "The Parliament House" in Maengwyn Street, which now houses an interpretive centre dealing with Owain Glyndwr. Another is "Royal House" where Garsiwn Lane joins Penrallt Street, possibly built in the 1300's and where Charles I is supposed to have stayed in 1644, hence its name.
Besides Owain Glyndwr Machynlleth is probably best known as the "town with the clock". The clock tower, is the first thing many visitors will notice when entering or travelling through Machynlleth. It was built by the townspeople of Machynlleth in the 1870's and is the hub of the town, from which the three main streets radiate.
Llyn Clywedog is a man made reservoir formed by the construction of the Clywedog Dam. The dam was built between 1965-67... more travel advice
Ynys-hir Nature Reserve lies just off the main road between Aberystwyth and Machynlleth. It covers 427 hectares (1,056... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Machynlleth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "God's Own Country"
- "The town with the Clock"
- "Mach Loop"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machynlleth
- 4 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Machynlleth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machynlleth
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 56 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos