"Nefyn - Near Pwllheli" Pwllheli by Myfanwe
Pwllheli Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 20 photos
Nefyn is a small, peacefull little fishing village which is not even on the VT map!! It is surrounded by superb Countryside on the North Coast of the Lleyn Peninsular in North Wales and is a great base for exploring the area or enjoying the lovely coastline.
The history of the area can be traced back to 300BC with the Iron Age hillfort of Garn Boduan overlooking Nefyn. The remains of 170 round stone huts and ramparts are still visible on top of the 917 feet (280 m) hill.
The earliest known reference to Nefyn in documents dates from the latter part of the 11th Century, where it is mentioned as a landing place of the Welsh prince, Gruffydd ap Cynan.
Gerald of Wales writing in his account of a journey around Wales in 1188 states he slept at Nefyn on the eve of Palm Sunday.
The town was the place of a jousting tournament held by Edward I of England in 1284 to celebrate his victory over the Welsh, emphasising its importance at that time as a trading town. In 1355 it became a free borough and remained an important centre of commerce.
The sea was always an important part of the economy of Nefyn and fishing, particularly for herring, became the prime trade for most of the 18th and 19th centuries: so much so that the town's coat-of-arms bears three herrings.
There is a lovely little Coffee shop on the road leading down to Nefyn Beach. As well as hot and cold drinks, they sell... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Pwllheli Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Pwllheli
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Pwllheli?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pwllheli
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos