"Water on the Wye" Rhayader by Myfanwe
Rhayader Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 35 photos
The name Rhayader meaning 'water on the Wye' is indeed a town of water. It was the first town to be built on the river Wye and is the oldest town in Mid Wales, dating back to the 5th Century although neolithic remains show that people have been here for longer than this!
The town has a wealth of charming historic buildings and is surrounded by beautiful countryside with riverside walks alongside the mighty River Wye.
The Elan Valley is a short drive away from Rhayader offering countryside trails set in stunning scenery.
Rhayader is also well known for Gigrin Farm, the Red Kite feeding centre which offers close up views of these stunning birds while they swoop down for a meal.
You can pick up an excellent town guide from the Tourist Information office, this includes a fantastic town trail and map of the area.
- Pros:The beautiful countryside
- Cons:The weather can change to rain in a flash...
The Parish Church of Rhayader is said to stand on the site of the old Garrison Church of the Castle. Whilst foundations... more travel advice
Rhayader Castle (1177 - 1231) was a wooden structure built by the Welsh Prince Rhys Ap Gruffrudd to defend the first... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Rhayader Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bird watchers paradise!"
- "Gateway to The Elan valley"
- "Water on the Wye"
- "1 Weekend Only...."
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rhayader
- 10 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Rhayader?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rhayader
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos