"Swansea - Abertawe" Top 5 Page for this destination Swansea by Myfanwe
Swansea Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 265 photos
Swansea is the second largest City in Wales next to Cardiff. It is situated alongside the coast about 20 Miles South West of Cardiff on the Mouth of the river Tawe. Swansea is a vibrant modern City with many things to do and see in the area. There is a fabulous shopping Centre with some lovely shopping arcades, also within the town you'll find the largest indoor market in Wales (apparently you can get the best tasting Lava bread here)!
Swansea has some lovely parks and gardens with Singleton Park being a stonesthrow away from the City Centre and Clyne Country park just a few minutes drive away.
The picturesque town of Mumbles is just around the corner with Oystermouth Castle and the famous collection of bars and restaurants which make up 'Mumbles mile'.
The Gower Peninsular is just a 30 Minute drive away from Swansea, the Gower was the first area in the United Kingdom to be granted 'Area of outstanding Beauty' (AONB) status. It is a fabulous area renowned for its' isolated beaches, rugged scenery, fabulous views and magical castles.
Swansea was granted City status in 1969 to mark Prince Charles's investiture as the Prince of Wales. The announcement was made by the prince on 3 July 1969, during a tour of Wales.
Much of the town was flattened by bombings during World War II but you can still see some remains of the Castle within the City Centre.
In years gone by Swansea played a huge part in the export of Copper Industry earning its' nickname 'Copperopolis'. Nowadays, the revitalised dockland has been transformed into a peaceful waterside area known as the Maritime Quarter or SA1. Here you will find the Marina, Waterfront Museum, Art Galleries and of course Restaurants & Bars.
Swansea is home to the National Swimming Pool and also has several cycle routes running through and around the centre - my favourite is the coastal path which runs the length of Swansea bay down to Mumbles.
Oxwich Castle lies not far from Oxwich Bay on the Gower Peninsular about 30-40 minutes West of the City of Swansea. The... more travel advice
There is a fabulous Coastal path which begins at the Maritime Quarter in Swansea City Centre and ends 2-3 miles down the... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Swansea Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Swansea - Abertawe"
- "Croeso i Abertawe (Swansea)"
- "Only a few hours there"
- "A city which stirs mixed emotions."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Swansea
- Hotels in Swansea
- Transportation in Swansea
- Nightlife in Swansea
- Restaurants in Swansea
- Shopping in Swansea
- Warnings and Dangers in Swansea
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Swansea
- 12 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Swansea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Swansea
Photos in SwanseaSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 57 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos