"A Fantastic Historic Town" Tewkesbury by Myfanwe
Tewkesbury Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 105 photos
Tewkesbury is situated in the English County of Gloucestershire. It stands at the confluence of the River Severn and River Avon. The surrounding rivers and flood plain have prevented the old town from expanding so that it's long thin profile has hardly altered since the middle ages. The name Tewkesbury comes from Theoc, the name of a Saxon who founded a hermitage there in the 7th century. In the Old English tongue the Town was called Theocsbury.
Tewkesbury has one of the best Medieval black and white townscapes in England not to mention the elaborately carved doorways and quaint alleyways leading off the high street. Most of the town lies within the Tewkesbury Conservation Area and over 350 of the buildings are listed as being of special Architectoral or historic interest.
There are many reasons to visit Tewkesbury; great flat walks alongside the river, some wonderful Antique shops in the high street and a Visit the Abbey. One thing's for certain, if you love history and old buildings you will adore Tewkesbury.
- Pros:Everything is within easy level walking distance.
- Cons:None, it's a great place.
The Bell Hotel was built around 1696. It is thought to stand on the site of the monastic hostelry within the Abbey... more travel advice
The Alleyways in Tewkesbury began to appear in the 17th Century. They were created due to a increased demand in housing.... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Tewkesbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Fantastic Historic Town"
- "A lovely abbey ......in a flood plain."
- "Charming Cotswold Village"
- "Great time in Tewkesbury."
- "Tewkesbury: A Charming Cotswolds Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tewkesbury
- Hotels in Tewkesbury
- Transportation in Tewkesbury
- Restaurants in Tewkesbury
- Shopping in Tewkesbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tewkesbury
- 12 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Tewkesbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tewkesbury
Photos in TewkesburySee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 56 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos