"A touch of Italy - In North Wales" Top 5 Page for this destination Portmeirion by Myfanwe
Portmeirion Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 153 photos
Portmeirion is a beautiful, extraordinary village tucked away on the shores of the Dwyryd and Glaslyn Esturies in North Wales. With it's statues, gothic architecture, magnificent clock tower and stone cottages stonewashed in bright meditteranean colours; you'd be forgiven for thinking you were in the hills of Tuscany rather than a little Village in North Wales.
The work of art which is Portmeirion is owned by the registered charity, the Clough William Ellis foundation, named after the extremely talented Welsh Architect Sir William Clough Ellis who acquired the site in 1925 for something under £5,000 and created a masterpiece, his aim was to show how a naturally beautiful landscape could be developed without spoiling it. Clough Ellis wasted no time in changing the name from Aber Ia (meaning glacial estury) to Port Meirion (Port because of its' coastal location and Meirion which is Welsh for Merioneth).
Unlike any other places I know, you can only visit Portmeirion during visiting hours, unless you are lucky enough to be staying at one of the salubrious hotels in the village of course.
The Gardens in Portmeirion are out of this world. There are beautiful flowers everywhere and ornamental water features around every corner. There are lots of benches in the gardens for you to sit in awe and take in the wonder of the architecture surrounding you.
- Pros:None - it's a fantastic place.
- Cons:The weather can sometimes be a bit iffy.
Portmeirion is surrounded by fantastic woodlands where you can follow the waymarked trails and enjoy the natural beauty... more travel advice
There is a lovely coastal path at the foot of the village which goes past the Portmeirion Hotel, a model of a stone boat... more travel advice
Myfanwe's Related Pages
Portmeirion Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portmeirion Prisoners"
- "A touch of Italy - In North Wales"
- "PORTMEIRION - ARCHITECTURAL GEM & CULT LOCATION!"
- "Day Trip to the Beach"
- "I am not a Number"
- "In Search of Number Six"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portmeirion
- Hotels in Portmeirion
- Transportation in Portmeirion
- Restaurants in Portmeirion
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Portmeirion
- 5 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Portmeirion?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portmeirion
Photos in PortmeirionSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cardiff Intro, 56 reviews, 170 photos, 1 travelogue
- Manchester Intro, 32 reviews, 125 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rodos (City) Intro, 30 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chester Intro, 32 reviews, 114 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porthcawl Intro, 30 reviews, 104 photos
- York Intro, 24 reviews, 100 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly Intro, 20 reviews, 102 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gloucester Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tenby Intro, 19 reviews, 77 photos
- Brugge Intro, 15 reviews, 74 photos
Latest Portmeirion hotel reviews
- Hotel Portmeirion
- 653 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013