Houston Tourist Trap Tips by H-TownJourneyman Top 5 Page for this destination
Houston Tourist Traps: 17 reviews and 7 photos
Space Center Houston is the visitor's portion of the Johnson Space Center, one of Houston's most famous landmarks. The words "Houston, we have a problem", uttered by Cmdr. Jim Lovell during the fateful Apollo 13 mission, & made famous by Tom Hanks in the movie, have linked Houston & space exploration eternally. When many people come to Houston, naturally the first thing they would like to see is NASA. This is whats so unfortunate about me feeling I have to designate Space Center Houston as a "Tourist Trap"! Growing up a native Houstonian, I take great pride in my city being associated with NASA. But I do not, & would not feel right recommending someone go here, unless you just have to see some of what NASA is offering up for visitors to see here. For starters, Space Center Houston is about 45 minutes southeast of downtown in the Clear Lake/Seabrook area, which is more than a little inconvenient, especially for someone who is here in town & does not have a car. But, if you do make it down to the Space Center, the actual tours they offer are largely geared towards kids, which is not necessarily a bad thing if you are a large family, but bad if you were expecting it to be a full-fledged "history of NASA & space exploration" type tour. The tour offers a tram around the grounds, which is also not a great thing to do here during the summer, with the heat & humidity in full effect. But you do get to see some of the old space modules used in the past, including a Saturn V rocket, as well as Mission Control, which many people feel is worth the visit. I have to admit that seeing this with all of the history that has taken place there can be quite riveting. But unless you are a huge space exploration buff who is dying to see Mission Control & some of the old space modules, finding transport down to it, spending almost $20/person admission & $5 to park a car to see what this place has to offer is just not worth it.
Unique Suggestions: If you are dead-set on visiting the Space Center, I would suggest booking a trip with a tour company here in town, and making a day out of it. Most offer packages which include transport to and from, as well as admission. Houston Tours offers a pretty good one for those willing to dedicate most of the day to it.
Fun Alternatives: If you are interested in learning about some of the history of NASA and space exploration, and would like to stay much closer to the center of town, the Museum of Natural Science has a nice exhibit dedicated to this. And along with being much closer, it is cheaper and there are many other exhibits you can view with a general admission ticket as well. I, along with many other Houstonians, hope that there will be a Space Museum in the near future located in-town that will showcase the history of NASA, and what it means to the city of Houston.
More Reviews (101)
- See All Fancy-Schmancy Downtown Nightclub
- See All Restaurant, Brewery, Sports Bar: Call It...
- See All Old World Style In Downtown Houston!
- See All Houston Turkish Festival
- See All The Port Of Houston/Houston Ship Channel
- See All Houston Astrodome
- See All Mega Mall of The Woodlands
- See All The Historic Rice Hotel Building
- So You're Traveling To Houston?!
- Feeling HOT HOT HOT!!!
- See All Beware Of The Speed Traps!
- See All Choose Hobby Airport
H-TownJourneyman's Related Pages
Houston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- "Houston, Texas; Beyond Oil, Heat and Space"
- "Home, Home on the Range"
- "Hidden Huston"
- "Houston: Home to the Rodeo and Oil Business"
- "Houston, Texas"
- "4th Largest City in the USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houston
- Hotels in Houston
- Transportation in Houston
- Nightlife in Houston
- Restaurants in Houston
- Shopping in Houston
- Warnings and Dangers in Houston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Houston
- 102 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Houston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houston
- Uploaded a Photo to "Houston International Festival"
- Posted in Travel Houston Forum "Re: Houston to Galveston"
- updated a Houston Travel Page "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- Wrote a Review Fancy-Schmancy Downtown Nightclub about Night Clubs in Houston Nightlife
- Commented on one of MarvintheMartian's Houston travel pages
Photos in HoustonSee All Photos (109)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 101 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 102 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Antalya Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (31)
- NASA Johnson Space Center- 52 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Galleria- 15 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Williams Water Wall- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Herman Park- 15 Reviews, 33 Photos
- San Jacinto State Park- 17 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Museum of Natural Science- 17 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Downtown- 28 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Ship Channel- 7 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Zoo- 13 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Menil Collection- 10 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Houston Things to Do