"H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston by H-TownJourneyman

Houston Travel Guide: 1,246 reviews and 2,138 photos

Space City, U.S.A.

Welcome to Houston, my birthplace and hometown. I have lived in and around Houston my whole life, and although I have dreamed of living in other places around the world at various times, I don't think I could live anywhere else. It is my home, and I will always refer to it as my home, no matter where life takes me! :)

Houston is not known as a "tourist hotbed", but there is quite a lot to do and see here. While light on the historical side, Houston is a very modern, multi-cultural city, where there is always something going on. I think the average visitor to the city may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can do here. I am always happy to show off my city, so feel free to hit me up with any questions!

Inside Houston

Here are some highlights (both good & bad!), interesting facts, and favorites about H - Town:

- With over 2 million people living within the city, Houston is the largest city in Texas, and the 4th largest in the United States. Over 6 million people reside in the Houston metropolitan area

- Houston was founded in 1836 on the banks of Buffalo Bayou

- The Battle of San Jacinto, the decisive victory over Mexico for Texas' independence, was fought just east of Houston, where a monument now stands

- Houston served as the capital of the Republic of Texas from 1837-1840

- Located in Houston, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world, with over 60,000 people employed within it's many facilities

- Built in 1965, the Astrodome was the first domed stadium constructed in the world

- The Port of Houston is one of the largest international ports in the world

- With over 5,000 energy firms located here, Houston is considered to be the "energy capital of the world" (Please excuse the Enron fiasco!)

- The Houston Theater District is one of the largest areas in the world for the performing arts, it's facilities comprising almost 15,000 seats

- Houston is home to the Johnson Space Center, mission control for all NASA space explorations

- The Houston Museum District is a unique area of the city with over 20 venues for visitors to explore the arts, science, and history

- Houston has more restaurants than any city in the United States, with over 11,000 located here (A big reason why Houston is often voted the fattest U.S. city, unfortunately!)

- The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo is the biggest rodeo in the world, attracting over 1 million people each year in Feb. and March. Yehawwwwww!!!!

- Houston has become one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world over the past few decades, with over 90 languages spoken everyday (And I speak 1 of them!)

- Houston is a city with many nicknames - "The Bayou City", "Space City U.S.A.", or my favorite, as you can see, "H - Town"

Good Times

Houston, as well as it's surrounding areas, are full of activities and events happening year-round. Just a note here: For me, as well as most Houstonians, "Houston" as it were, is not limited to just what is inside the city limits proper. Many things that are mentioned here are in fact within the city limits, but many are also in the outlying suburb areas of Houston as well. But I'll try to give at least a basic description of where each one is.

Thanks for visiting!!!

• Intro Updated Mar 1, 2007

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Nice page

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 2:55 AM

thanx for the tips and photos.. Will be visiting Houston for a few days for some job training and wanted to see if there is else to do or see or eat :) Thanx

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM

Fabulous tips and great photos. The waterfall looks incredible. I'd have to say, your boardwalk looks a BIT different from our boardwalks. Hope you have a chance to come see the Jersey Shore. Have a great birthday.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Hi, Josh! Thanks a lot for your great tips! You're a real guide for your city! Greetings to Houston!

• monina_c's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 10:15 PM

:) my sister and her family love living in the woodlands. for my nephew and niece it is nature walk everyday! thanks for sharing this page. 100++ tips! Amazing!

• Sage49's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Interesting. You changed my mind. I always thought that there's nothing in Houston. I guess I was wrong. thanks for that.

• rsleisk's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Ahh... the Gingerman and Soundwaves, these places take me back to my formative years! Thanks for the flashback, great tips and photos!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 5:29 PM

Wow, so many restaurant tips in your home town! I'm feeling hungry :)

• toni28's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 3:33 AM

Hi there are you sure its not worth to visit? my family are flanning to visit houston and nasa is one of our target pls... advise- toni

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 1:17 AM

Hi Josh. Great page on your hometown! The most I've seen of Houston is on the "Animal Cops" TV Programme :-) Maybe you could add a tip about the Houston SPCA? Thanks for the great tips & Greetings from the desert :-) Jess

H-TownJourneyman Lives Here!

H-TownJourneyman

“Get out there & see some stuff!!!”

Badges & Stats in Houston

Have you been to Houston?

Latest Activity in Houston