"H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!" Top 5 Page for this destination Houston by H-TownJourneyman
Houston Travel Guide: 1,246 reviews and 2,138 photos
Welcome to Houston, my birthplace and hometown. I have lived in and around Houston my whole life, and although I have dreamed of living in other places around the world at various times, I don't think I could live anywhere else. It is my home, and I will always refer to it as my home, no matter where life takes me! :)
Houston is not known as a "tourist hotbed", but there is quite a lot to do and see here. While light on the historical side, Houston is a very modern, multi-cultural city, where there is always something going on. I think the average visitor to the city may be pleasantly surprised at how much you can do here. I am always happy to show off my city, so feel free to hit me up with any questions!
Here are some highlights (both good & bad!), interesting facts, and favorites about H - Town:
- With over 2 million people living within the city, Houston is the largest city in Texas, and the 4th largest in the United States. Over 6 million people reside in the Houston metropolitan area
- Houston was founded in 1836 on the banks of Buffalo Bayou
- The Battle of San Jacinto, the decisive victory over Mexico for Texas' independence, was fought just east of Houston, where a monument now stands
- Houston served as the capital of the Republic of Texas from 1837-1840
- Located in Houston, the Texas Medical Center is the largest medical center in the world, with over 60,000 people employed within it's many facilities
- Built in 1965, the Astrodome was the first domed stadium constructed in the world
- The Port of Houston is one of the largest international ports in the world
- With over 5,000 energy firms located here, Houston is considered to be the "energy capital of the world" (Please excuse the Enron fiasco!)
- The Houston Theater District is one of the largest areas in the world for the performing arts, it's facilities comprising almost 15,000 seats
- Houston is home to the Johnson Space Center, mission control for all NASA space explorations
- The Houston Museum District is a unique area of the city with over 20 venues for visitors to explore the arts, science, and history
- Houston has more restaurants than any city in the United States, with over 11,000 located here (A big reason why Houston is often voted the fattest U.S. city, unfortunately!)
- The Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo is the biggest rodeo in the world, attracting over 1 million people each year in Feb. and March. Yehawwwwww!!!!
- Houston has become one of the most culturally diverse cities in the world over the past few decades, with over 90 languages spoken everyday (And I speak 1 of them!)
- Houston is a city with many nicknames - "The Bayou City", "Space City U.S.A.", or my favorite, as you can see, "H - Town"
Houston, as well as it's surrounding areas, are full of activities and events happening year-round. Just a note here: For me, as well as most Houstonians, "Houston" as it were, is not limited to just what is inside the city limits proper. Many things that are mentioned here are in fact within the city limits, but many are also in the outlying suburb areas of Houston as well. But I'll try to give at least a basic description of where each one is.
Thanks for visiting!!!
If there was a place in Houston that is known for it's upscale nightlife, and undoubtedly knows it, it's this place.... more travel advice
The Davenport is a great little lounge known for their extensive knowledge of cocktails, and a wide variety of spirits... more travel advice
- See All Restaurant, Brewery, Sports Bar: Call It...
- See All Old World Style In Downtown Houston!
- See All Houston Turkish Festival
- See All The Port Of Houston/Houston Ship Channel
- See All Houston Astrodome
- See All Mega Mall of The Woodlands
- See All The Historic Rice Hotel Building
- So You're Traveling To Houston?!
- Feeling HOT HOT HOT!!!
- Space Center Houston - This is NASA?
- See All Beware Of The Speed Traps!
- See All Choose Hobby Airport
H-TownJourneyman's Related Pages
Houston Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- "Houston, Texas; Beyond Oil, Heat and Space"
- "Home, Home on the Range"
- "Hidden Huston"
- "Houston: Home to the Rodeo and Oil Business"
- "Houston, Texas"
- "4th Largest City in the USA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Houston
- Hotels in Houston
- Transportation in Houston
- Nightlife in Houston
- Restaurants in Houston
- Shopping in Houston
- Warnings and Dangers in Houston
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Houston
- 102 Reviews
- 109 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Houston?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Houston
- Uploaded a Photo to "Houston International Festival"
- Posted in Travel Houston Forum "Re: Houston to Galveston"
- updated a Houston Travel Page "H-Town, Texas! My Hometown!"
- Wrote a Review Fancy-Schmancy Downtown Nightclub about Night Clubs in Houston Nightlife
- Commented on one of MarvintheMartian's Houston travel pages
Photos in HoustonSee All Photos (109)
Top 10 Pages
- Istanbul Intro, 101 reviews, 149 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 102 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 32 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues
- Maui Intro, 22 reviews, 33 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alanya Intro, 12 reviews, 22 photos
- Oahu Intro, 12 reviews, 14 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 12 photos
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Antalya Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos